The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dakotakid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 05:58 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road
Default Fall Fly Fishing ND

My buddies and I are going to be heading to the Medina area in ND this fall for some waterfowl hunting and I was curious if I should throw my fly rod in given the opportunity at some point to get the line wet. Fairly new to trout fishing, but have been fly casting for quite a few years so I am always looking to catch a fish some place new.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fall Fly Fishing ND

If you don't get any replies, send a PM to NDFlyfisher, he might be able to help.

Larry

Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
If you don't get any replies, send a PM to NDFlyfisher, he might be able to help.

Larry
Thanks Larry. I am sure someone could at least tell me whether to pack the rod or not. I probably will anyways, but wouldn't mind knowing what to expect. Not sure how much time I will have to get the line wet since we hope to hit the ducks and geese pretty heavy!

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsac09 View Post
Thanks Larry. I am sure someone could at least tell me whether to pack the rod or not. I probably will anyways, but wouldn't mind knowing what to expect. Not sure how much time I will have to get the line wet since we hope to hit the ducks and geese pretty heavy!

Thanks!
Sounds like a fun hunting trip, I'd pack a fly rod just in case you see some inviting stream nearby.

Larry

Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I grew up and fished a lot in Southwestern ND, so I don't have specific knowledge of lakes and ponds in the Medina area. Don't expect to find any trout streams, they just don't exist in that part of the country. The most common fish in ND are panfish (perch, sunfish, crappie, etc.), Northern pike, walleye, and some bass.

Fly fishing isn't very common there, but pack a rod anyway. Your best bet is to ask the landowners, where you will be hunting, what fish are in local ponds and lakes and then pack accordingly.

Good luck!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 PM

NDflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I just came across this thread. The Medina area of the state doesn't have trout. Pike in the area lakes will be good in the fall. Fall pike fly fishing in ND can be great, you can get into some really big ones. Bring an 8wt some generic subsurface pike flies, saltwater poppers and steel tippet. For trout you would need to go below Garrison dam on the Missouri River but that's a haul from Medina. As for the waterfowl we are in a wet cycle and the duck/goose hunting the last few years has been amazing to say the least. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDflyfisher View Post
Re: Fall Fly Fishing ND
I just came across this thread. The Medina area of the state doesn't have trout. Pike in the area lakes will be good in the fall. Fall pike fly fishing in ND can be great, you can get into some really big ones. Bring an 8wt some generic subsurface pike flies, saltwater poppers and steel tippet. For trout you would need to go below Garrison dam on the Missouri River but that's a haul from Medina. As for the waterfowl we are in a wet cycle and the duck/goose hunting the last few years has been amazing to say the least. You will not be disappointed.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll throw the rod in just in case I get a chance throughout the week to get some lines wet. Like I said our main focus will be waterfowl, but if for some reason we have an afternoon without hunting or scouting I will be hitting the water for some hammer handles!