The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 AM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Southeast Minnesota Trip

No, that's a different stream. That one has multiple rock quarries on the upper headwaters. South of 90.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Right on. Speaking of streams that got destroyed last year... Anyone fish beaver yet? Ted and I fished it after the flood and it was a brand new stream... All fresh stream bottom through the park... Was crazy... Needless to say we didn't catch a thing
Old 04-07-2014, 07:20 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

How's the Diamond fishing? Whenever I fish the Gribben, I'm reminded that my second-favorite trout stream is just the next draw over.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Been a lot of years since I fished diamond and that was spin fishing in those days. Used to fish there, swing over to gribben, then finish up at wisel at one if the 2 bridges or down the valley behind the old campground, or if it was full of ppl, down into simles behind Amherst. Made for a full day of fishing. Bread bag full of sandwiches, cooler full of cokes and a box of chips and hauled around in a old station wagon.
Good old days.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I fished diamond a couple times last year and did alright. I really like those tiny ones. The hi section up by the old white house there seems to get a fair bit of action by all the trash that's often left in the parking area but I've not had much luck thorough that part before.

Wisel is by far one of my favorite streams. Love that stream and handles the floods pretty well. South fork would be my next favorite. Both of which I've ignored so far this year. I've fished just about every inch of both of those streams.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

My favorite spot in wisel is up from the tall bridge, walk it up to where the cliff is. I love bouncing beetles off the cliff face. Up around the bend is ok too. Down stream isn't bad, the pool right below the bridge usually has some fish in it, down the driveway gets hit alott in the summer it seems.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I fished diamond a couple times last year and did alright. I really like those tiny ones. The hi section up by the old white house there seems to get a fair bit of action by all the trash that's often left in the parking area but I've not had much luck thorough that part before.

Wisel is by far one of my favorite streams. Love that stream and handles the floods pretty well. South fork would be my next favorite. Both of which I've ignored so far this year. I've fished just about every inch of both of those streams.
That area gets a ton of trash because it's a local kid hang-out/campsite. I don't think the stream itself gets much fishing pressure.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
That area gets a ton of trash because it's a local kid hang-out/campsite. I don't think the stream itself gets much fishing pressure.
Ah. I thought they all camped at the dead end there by the old wagon bridge
Old 07-27-2014, 03:00 PM

ranger56528 is on a distinguished road
Default Southeast Minnesota Trip

When I lived in Rochester I used to trout fish out by Whitewater state park 33 yrs ago did not know about Gribben,went to the caves down in the se area.

Last edited by ranger56528; 07-27-2014 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added
Old 07-27-2014, 06:00 PM

If you go on the DNR site you can download maps of the streams in Minnesota and it had it's restrictions listed also. Plus on the site it will give stream conditions.

Sent from my iPhone