The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 AM

ontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura about
Default Southeast Minnesota Trip

My son had a few days off for spring break, so I took a few off with him. Unfortunately, there were lots of fishing related things not in our favor for this trip. The weather had suddenly turned nice last weekend (by nice, temperatures had actually flirted with 60 degrees ), so our snow pack had decided to disappear, leaving most of the limited amount of area streams unfishable.

At any rate, we got after it and managed a few fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

We had great discussions in the car about the types of land, streams, and environment we encountered. Even to the virtually untrained eyes of an eleven year old, they can recognize poor land use practices - row crops right up to the edge of streams, feed lots, and the lack of grasslands that has become the norm in southeast Minnesota.

Regardless of the poor fishing conditions, my son and I had a ball, so much so that we're out the door in a few hours to do it all over again.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southeast Minnesota Trip

Nothing better than a fishing trip with your son, congrats! Thanks for sharing the awesome looking photos.

Larry
fredaevans likes this.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Sounds like a great day on the water, and a great time spent with your son.
I recognise that old stone mill. I have fished that creek many times in my life, but only a couple with a fly rod. Wich is silly, I'm a 20 minute drive from it.

Sent from my iPhone
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:58 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Nice stream to pick when everything else is chocolate. I've taken many pictures of that stone mill as well. And the huge spring that comes out of the bluff is pretty cool to just up steam of it... Especially in the winter... It's the only spot that'll be lush green all year round. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 AM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

Great report from the smiles it looks like a successful trip. My best memories are of my times with my father on the river. Thank you Dylan
Old 04-05-2014, 07:34 PM

ontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura about

The old stone mill still stands on beloved Gribben, but the stream itself is in horrendous shape after last June's flood. It's a sad state of affairs when a stream that is dear to you gets drilled so badly that it will never be the same.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:58 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Agreed. I lived in Whalan for most of my teenage years and gribben holds many many memories for me. I used to fish my way down the root then head up gribben. Sometimes I would put up a tent at the slab n fish all weekend. Sometimes ride my motorcycle down to diamond. That was over 25 yrs ago. Geez I feel old right now lol. Haven't been through the valley since the flood, but I have heard it's in rough shape.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 PM

More from today.

And the not so good - erosion to the point of I watched the bank slide toward the stream.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 PM

Wow! That's not good. But in the other hand, gribben is still puttin out nice fish. Wonder how long until it stabilises.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheflymn View Post
The old stone mill still stands on beloved Gribben, but the stream itself is in horrendous shape after last June's flood. It's a sad state of affairs when a stream that is dear to you gets drilled so badly that it will never be the same.
That's for sure. I went down and fished it once early this winter and checked it out post flood last year... Just when you get to know a stream it gets destroyed. But what can you do. It'll rebound. And be a nice fishery still. Has a good natural reproducing population. It's never been an easy stream to fish.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheflymn View Post
More from today.

And the not so good - erosion to the point of I watched the bank slide toward the stream.

is that Gribben still?