The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 10 Post By ontheflymn
  • 1 Post By ontheflymn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough
Default Pretty Good Brown

Click the image to open in full size.

My ten year-old son Brock caught and released this 19" brown this afternoon. Needless to say, he leads the old man for largest trout of 2014 .
Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice
Default Re: Pretty Good Brown

Great job Brock that's a beauty. My daughter is 6 and I took her to the park today for her first casting lesson, she liked it and wants to try again. How old was Brock when you first got him casting? Good job Dad!

Dylan
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough

Dylan, I got my son going by age 7, but it was very guided and under controlled circumstances. Get her out on a lake with some open water and eager panfish, just to get some of the basic casting down.

My son caught his first trout last year solo, but it wasn't easy for him to get to that point. Fly casting and retrieving is two-handed. Often, the youngsters don't have the motor skills to be very proficient when it comes to fishing a stream.
smilingduck likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

That sure is a beautiful brown and a great start to spring.

I was down in the Red Wing and Wabasha area this weekend doing some preseason scouting for turkey hunting and a bit of fishing - from the looks of it, you must have either been quite a bit south of where I was or know where the only clear water was in the northern area.

The water was still fine on Saturday, and I managed to catch a few fish in the short time we fished between checking hunting areas... even managed to catch a little brown on my very first cast of the year in MN!

Sunday was another story. Every stream was chocolate brown from the snow melting overnight and into the morning. Hopefully there isn't too much rain in the next 10 days so things are cleared up by the time we're down there for turkey hunting... I think I look forward to afternoon fishing as much as the morning hunts!

ryan
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Nice fish! Well done.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 AM

Ryan,

We didn't get hit that hard further south with the last barrage of snow. As of right now, we don't have much at all, so the streams are running pretty clear.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Great Catch to start the season. I love seeing youngsters holding fish and smiling, nothing better. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com