The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looks like you can skip fishing in the Great Lakes for awhile longer.

These folks are having one heck of a winter:

It’s Mid-April And Coast Guard Is Still Battling Thick Great Lakes Ice « CBS Chicago
Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looks like you can skip fishing in the Great Lakes for awhile longer.

Huron is all but open though you can see ice out off shore about 5 miles-ish. Lots to chunks coming down into the st. clair River though

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 AM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Looks like you can skip fishing in the Great Lakes for awhile longer.

I called a contact in Richfield, yesterday, and he was indicating that high waters were causing issues. He was hopeful that the waters would recede. I know when I made a second steelhead trip, we just barely had open water as it was starting to lock up for the winter. We had to be careful of oncoming icebergs to not be toppled while we fished!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I still have ice banks and at least a few feet of ice in front of my house. It really doesn't seem to be moving much. Last year, we already had a couple of weeks of open water out front.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:13 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Here is some more info on that issue. Ice Update: Here and Everywhere : News : UpperMichigansSource.com
I'm on Superior's shore and it doesn't look good.

This is South of me on Lake Michigan: http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...8#.U1GqF4tOWfA Before you ask, the truck is clean, no oil, gas, grease and etc. It is also tethered and will be pulled out when it goes through. It's all for a good cause.

Last edited by rockriver; 04-18-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Bummer, I had considered a steelhead trip this month. Look to be there now in the fall.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutn View Post
Bummer, I had considered a steelhead trip this month. Look to be there now in the fall.
With the warmer weather and rain predicted, things will be changing in a hurry for the U.P. Trouble is with the snow pack and heat and rain, a lot of rivers will be flooding. Here is a link for weekly DNR updates. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...6--,00.html#UP A few areas are open now for fishing and are producing.