The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Route Advice Sought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
If you get tired of the cornfields along I-80 in IL, IA, NE, I'd suggest you slide north to I-90 through WI, MN, and SD.

I-90 more or less bisects the driftless area of WI and MN which has excellent trout fishing. There's also the Black Hills area in western SD which has some good trout fishing and a number of tourist attractions including Mt Rushmore.

You could take I-80 through IL, take US 61 up along the Mississippi River to I-90 and then head west on I-90 and still catch plenty of cornfields in IL and western MN.
There's a rest stop on I-90 where you can catch wild brown trout.
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:47 PM

doneinne is on a distinguished road
Default Route Advice Sought.....

I live in Nebraska. I would get off interstate 80. Take hwy 275 to hwy 20 into Wyoming. Much better terrain. Most of it is 65 miles per hour.
Plus some small trout streams around Fort Robinson State Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:56 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to see all the references to I-90. Odd as it may be there are very few 'long distance' east-west freeways. I-90 starts at the Seattle water front and ends up at the Atlantic Ocean (or close to it).

No long distance FW's in Oregon at all save for I-5 which is North/South.Haven't looked at a map but can't think of a major east/west in California until you get close to Southern California.

Suspect its all those darned Mountains in the way ......
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 AM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough

If you're planning on the I90 route through MN, get south of 90 for better fishing and better scenery, dip into northeast IA, and cross into SW Wisco. All three areas fish very similarly. Basic tandem rigs for nymphs, dry and dropper on top.

PM me if you want further details.
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:33 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

A trip through the Badlands and a stop at Wall Drug are a must if in SD. Deadwood is pretty cool too. The drive through Iowa and Neb is enough to put a bullet in your head. Just did it 2 weeks ago. A ton of one lane construction areasgoing on in each direction
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Thanks again guys!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Thanks again guys!

B.E.F.
drop me a PM with your e mail
and I'll give you some info on a more southernly route
I took it east and then back again from Vegas where I live
some great country I went thru and found some cool places I'll share
plus other stuff I put together

I'm off to work (graveyard shift) but can get it all to you in a day or so
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 AM

witrouter is on a distinguished road

I have done the southern wisconsin, southern minnesota, south dakota drive out and back to wyoming a couple of times. and you will get bored of the scenery pretty fast on Interstate 90 if you dont stop and do a few touristy things. Corn Palace, Bad lands, black hills, mount rushmore or crazy horse. I would take 90 out to Buffalo WY. Pretty decent fishing in the Bighorn Mountains right outside town. Then on the way back go north to Interstate 94 and hit some of the fishing spots in Montana and wisconsin, and then take the U.P back and see all the waterfalls that area has to offer.
And fish the Bois brule in Northern Wisconsin and the Brule along the Eastern U.P/Wisconsin Border.
grtlksmarlin likes this.

Last edited by witrouter; 07-09-2014 at 04:35 AM. Reason: adding locations