The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 08:37 PM

thefraz44 is on a distinguished road
Default fly fishing near hoxie Kansas

If you don't know where it is, it's near Colby in northwest kansas. If this isn't in the right zone, feel free to take it down. Any ways I'm going to hoxie Kansas on a trip with my family. I also think it's a great excuse to fly fish. I'm thinking about hitting sheridan park lake but I don't know what's in there, what to use, etc. That's all I've heard of for lakes. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default Re: fly fishing near hoxie Kansas

You're right, your listing is in the wrong place--you want to be in lower mid u.s.

That said, here's my thoughts:

I know there's a small municipal lake in Atwood--30 miles north of Colby.

Take a look at antelope lake in Graham county 20-25 miles to the east of Hoxie.

Here's a link to the fishing atlas. The state of Kansas has arranged for some walk-in access on private property. There looks to be one marking near Colby and three in the vicinity of Hill City. Probably somebody's creek or a farm pond. You can get those atlases at wal-Marts or other places who sell sporting goods.

Fishing Atlas / Hunting & Fishing Maps by County / Locations / KDWPT Info / KDWPT - KDWPT

The trouble you'll run into out there is that there just isn't much water. Things are also spread out.

If you're willing to drive, Scott State Park is 75 miles away and has not only a decent lake but some cultural and scenic value--including the foundation of a small pueblo of some tiny group of paleoindians (it's called el cuartalejo). Cedar Bluff reservoir is 80 miles away near Hayes. Old Fort Hayes is worth a look as is the cathedral in nearby Victoria.