The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 15 Post By ontheflymn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM

ontheflymn is just really niceontheflymn is just really niceontheflymn is just really niceontheflymn is just really nice
Default Great Day for a Walk

Fishing wise, it was a day with mixed results. Streams in southeast Mn are very low and very clear, which is not a surprise for this time of the year. I tried a variety of nymph patterns as the lead fly in a tandem rig only to find out that none of them worked. Every trout I caught yesterday took a midge variation of some kind. Trout took to the surface to sip midges by 1:00 or so, but it was sporadic for the most part.

Click the image to open in full size.

The best part of the day was being solitary. No cell phones, traffic; I saw no one for the three plus hours I was out there, which was more important than catching oodles of trout.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM

rockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Great Day for a Walk

Nice location and it's always nicer not to have others around.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Banned

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Nice report. I'd gotten out the other day. The stream I'd fished had a little stain to it. usually is the case for this stream as there's a couple drainage ditches that go through farms that'll flow runoff into the stream. I'd gotten skunked. Was a day that just wasn't going my way. But in the end like you said. No cars, no people, no cellphone. I couldn't really complain.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

You're making me homesick! Winter season is the best time for fly fishing Minnesota, imo.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Great Day for a Walk

0521 and watching TV and the weather forecasts. Here in Southern Oregon we'll be in the high 50's, maybe a touch of 60. Our Eastern Brother's are about to get HAMMERED!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Also, just wanted to mention that with how fat and shiny that brown trout is, it looks like a walleye.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:21 PM

unknownflyman will become famous soon enough

Great looking thread and nice fish man! Trying to figure out what river that is? Looks familiar?