The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Upper Mid-U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/upper-mid-u-s/)
-   -   Newbie to the forum from MN (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/upper-mid-u-s/4317-newbie-forum-mn.html)

drowningworms 05-16-2008 02:17 PM

Newbie to the forum from MN

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say hello. I flyfish for everything and have done lots trout and bass fishing. Although I joined this forum to get info on trout fishing out
West, I would be more than happy to share what I know from the MidWest.

Tight lines and Screaming Reels,

Scott Nugent

Frank Whiton 05-16-2008 02:54 PM

Re: Newbie to the forum from MN

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around and become an active member.

Frank

diamond64 12-16-2008 01:06 PM

Just what I'm looking for.Will be in Minot ND for a wedding this coming summer and looking to do some fishing,maybe in Minn. Any info would be helpful as to what part of the state,guides, and etc. Not real sure as to what part of state and what time of summer we would be there. Open for any help,if at all,would like some fly fishing.:smile:

drowningworms 12-17-2008 06:51 AM

Minot is kind of far from the MN border. I've heard of some pretty decent lakes in that area that they stock with trout and I don't think they get much pressure. The following website should get you started...

Stillwaterflyfish.com | Dedicated to the stillwater flyfisherman.

Tight lines and Screaming reels!

diamond64 12-18-2008 06:24 PM

I have talked to a lodge called Moose Jaw near Ely today and sounded like a pretty good deal.Not familar with Minn. not sure if any good fishing on the west side of state.Any resorts or lodges would be helpful.Thanks:)

drowningworms 12-22-2008 07:52 AM

Yeah, the Ely area has some great fishing, especially for Smallies. However, there is quite a few stocked trout lakes near there as well. I'm not sure what you are looking for (stream fishing, lake fishing, float tube fishing, guided fishing, etc. ) If you give me some more specifics (time of year?, I can maybe give some more specifics back :icon_bigg. There is some trout fishing in the Bemidji area a few streams, but mainly stocked lakes. MN is just not like out West, it's hard to explain, but most of our lakes are bigger, contain walleye and one needs to cover a lot of water, etc. Another great trip is a float trip down the Upper Mississippi with Tim Holschag fishing for smallies Smallmouth Angler, Bass, Fishing, Book (and yes, that's me on his website). Personally, I generally flyfish SW Wisconsin for trout with most of my other fishing dedicated to pounding walleyes on our rivers.

NDflyfisher 12-22-2008 11:45 PM

Hey diamond64 any reason why you want to flyfish in MN? MN is a long way from Minot. What kind of fish are you interested in because ND has some great flyfishing? If you are not interested in the prairie lakes around Minot and you want a mountain/MN setting go just Northeast of Minot an hour or so and you will be in the Turtle Mountains. The Turtles have some awesome fishing. A few of the lakes on the Canadian side hold some of the biggest trout around. And a few of the Turtle lakes hold some big pike also.