The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pike / Muskie fishing

Congratulations on the first pike. I just found a link today to a Barry Reynold's interview that has an extremely large amount of good info and a link to his website where you can buy his books and videos. He is an advisor to Scott rods, Ross reels, and fly designer for Umpqua. He also now has a TV show. This is a guy with alot of good info. The interview is 1 hr. 24 min. long but it has a q&a session and well worth the time.
Barry Reynolds | Fly Fishing
Old 07-03-2009, 10:06 AM

PikeFlyGuy is on a distinguished road

Dan, what's your problem? Can't stand someone else having an independent opinion that doesn't agree with you, so you need to attack, belittle and mis-quote?

I never said I "hated" the Reynolds fly. I just said I prefer mine and find it less trouble and just as (or more) effectve. The fact that a 4 1/2 foot pike didn't eat it means nothing...or have EVERY fish that followed the Reynolds fly hit? I doubt it. So yes, I've disagreed...and so have you, very agressively, too. I've said from the beginning I'll do what I want, and you do your thing. That doesn't bother me at all. Cast those heavy, waterlogged flies all you want. You have plenty of company. I'll stick with my favorites, not work as hard, and, I'm sure, catch as many, and as may big ones, as you. Your love of Barry's fly doesn't threaten me, why should I apparently threaten you?

By the way, do you KNOW he caught his record on a bunny streamer? He recommends many different patterns in his books. Maybe it was one of those.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may be the one with the problem. Every single time I posted the Reynold's Pike fly you devote an entire post on how much you think is wrong with it, followed by "Buy my book." Any disagreement with your ideas send you over the edge. i.e. your last post. And there has been much to disagree with like the notorious short striking musky clan and the stinger hook bologna. I can't find a single person who agrees with you on that one. I wish you could have seen the look on the face of the last Lake of the Woods Musky guide I told that one to. If you go back and look at all of the threads this has gone on in, you can see who has the problem. Start by reading these posts from the start. I posted on this thread followed by you and your entire post being devoted to why the Reynold's pike fly stinks. You didn't say "Prefer" or "I'd rather". You said Avoid and don't use. Do you feel Barry Reynold's persecutes you also? On a previous subject, I just tied a couple of tube flies so I could try circle hooks. I tied in a thirty pound mono loop on the top back of the fly so the tail wouldn't "foul the hook and ruin the effectivness" of the fly. In fact the one and only time it did foul the hook was following a collision with something behind me on the back cast. That may have been the source of the fouling. I tied them on brass tube which make the fly pretty heavy, but I didn't need to eat extra wheaties. I had a couple of misses. One was to deep to see and the other was real small and may have missed the hook. I'm not sure I can blame the hook for either miss. I had one fish get the fly really deep and hang the hook at the junction of gill and bottom of the mouth. I used a twist melt knot to loop to loop the hook on. I backed it out through the gill plate and pulled the rest out the way it went in. It didn't even have the point buried. I would need to try it some more before I have a good opinion either way on circle hooks for flies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reynoldstube2.JPG (45.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM

My friend, Ken Buzzi, just returned from 8 days on Lake of the Woods, Ontario, where he took a half-dozen musky. Ken is primarily a bait-caster, but he took a 45" beauty on my favorite red & white marabou streamer. Despite those who claim "stinger hooks" are unnecessary Ken's fish exploded on the fly right at the boat and was securely hooked in the corner of the mouth...with a STINGER HOOK. As so often happens (despite other loud protests on this blogsite!) with splashy strikes at the boat, the fish is often missed. The stinger did the job this time. The fish was quickly released and should survive. Good job, Kenny. Ken also took several pike over 40" and a whopper smallie of nearly 21." Sadly, none were on flies, but he's bought the book and intends to fish flies harder next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken's Musky.jpg (84.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-16-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Removed promotion;
Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Banned

Show a picture of the fly.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

I target pike here in iowa most of the time. As a general rule I use BIG bass flies. My favorite this year are posted in the share a fly section. They are 7 inch streamers. I also catch bass on these, but they are kinda big for that as a rule. Unfortunantly a big pike here is 15 pounds. We simply dont get really big ones.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeFlyGuy View Post
blah blah blah marabou streamer. Blah blah blah "stinger hooks" STINGER HOOK. (despite blah blah blah!) bought the book and blah blah blah.

For anyone interested, my book, Toothy Critters Love Flies, it's now available on Amazon.com and (at a discount) directly from me, at:

The book blah blah severl editors of flyfishing magazines.
Post a picture of the fly.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:51 AM

I finally got around to taking a photo of my favorite pike fly. This is the same pattern that Ken took the 45" musky on, but his had a stinger hook, mounted point up, between feathers. This could have been a better picture, but basically, it's a 3/0 hook, a mylar tube body (add a rattle, if you wish), a red marabou pair of flared under wings, a white marabou pair of flared over wings, w/ crystal flash and flashabou toppings, 2" longer than the marabou. Large dumbbell eyes, finish it off. This one was tied w/a weedguard, but it's nearly as weedless if tied hook up, between the feathers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R & W MARABOU.jpg (97.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Banned

Default fuzzy math and four exposed stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeFlyGuy View Post
UPWARDS OF 20 FISH on one fly w/o retying, if they fly is properly made. That means good tight wrappings and a good coat of head cement after each element is added.6 flies lasted through about 250 fish. When I've caught fish with them it's usually the stinger in the jaw. Only occassionally is the fish hooked deeply, there's little extra damage done. (Diver Dan's opinion welcome, too.)?
250/6=41.66, four exposed stems hanging off in space, hmmm. Just because a fish is hanging on a stinger hook does not mean it "short striked". It just means that was the first hook to hit the fish. One of those stems break and it changes the color of the fly. I know from experiance there is no way an exposed stem will make it "UPWARDS OF 20 FISH" and for darn sure won't make it 41.66 fish. I dare every pike fisherman here to tie one of these mini dusters and try it. When I tie most of my marabou flies, I take my finger nails, which won't cut anything harder than butter and SNAP that little stem off to remove the end of the feather. I then take the remaining marabou and using the stem snap it into a Marc Petijean table clip. I then take the skinny clip and transfer the feather to the skinny clip. Next I take my scissors and REMOVE the stem. I catch the ends exposed (1/8" or so) in a dubbing loop. I spin the loop and then wrap it brushing the marabou back. The only way to remove marabou this way of tying a fly is to break each and every fiber. These flies dont make it through 40 smallies let alone pike. Your fly is no where near as tough based on the four exposed stems. The only weak spot in a Reynolds pike fly the way I tie them is the marabou, which once again is tied with NO exposed stem. The tube fly I pictured lost half the marabou in four pike. They were all smaller fish, which generally have sharper teeth than the bigger ones, but still. As for the "proper" tying you mentioned with the good coat of head cement, I stopped using head cement years ago on pike flies and went to 5 min. epoxy. Teeth go through head cement like poop through a goose. The way I tie the Reynold's pike fly only has exposed 5 min. epoxy on the weed gaurd at the bend in the hook.

Last edited by Guest1; 08-02-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add a line
Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 AM

pikeflyguy2 is on a distinguished road

I've been talking to a lot of the northern Canadian lodges, and they were really got hard this year by the very late Spring. Tate Island Lodge on Reindeer Lake (N. Saskatchewan) said there's still a bit of ice on Aug. 1 at the north end of the lake. Air temps everywhere have been in 50's and low 60's for highs, and at Reindeer, the Lakers were still in fairly shallow water, available for flyfishers. They are a fine "Bonus Specie," along with walleyes and (very far north, like Reindeer) Arctic Grayling. I love Bonus Species because they add spice to a pike (or musky) trip with some variety.