The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pike / Muskie fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeFlyGuy View Post
the marabous are probably NOt as durable as bunny strip flies, but I have taken UPWARDS OF 20 FISH on one fly w/o retying, if they fly is properly made.
OK, I tied one of those mini dusters of pikeflyguy's. Here is what happened. I went to Warroad on Lake of the Woods, one of the most Pike ridden spots on the planet, and fished for an hour without so much as a follow. I did end up getting three Pike. First this fly does Not catch more fish than a Reynold's Pike fly. I think the reason why is because the four Marabou feathers complete with stems are stiff and do not wiggle in a life like manner. Even after the fly has been dragged over a ton of water for an hour and the stems get more flexible it swims just slightly less stiff than a freakin stick.
Second, the first fish I caught cut the stem off the white feather on the left side of the fly about 1/8" away from the head. This left the fly white on one side and red on the other. The second fish did no damage. The third fish however took the white feather off the other side. It clipped the stem off almost flush to the head. At this rate the fly would be nothing more than a flashy hook in 6 fish. I recovered the white feather from the third fish, as it was still in it's mouth when I landed it. I looked closely at how the fish was hooked and now know why the feathers are clipped off. The bend in the hook was pretty much in the corner of the mouth on both fish which cut feathers off. The line is attached at the other end of the hook from the bend, so when you pull at an angle on the fish, the hook rotates in the Pikes mouth. The base of the stem, which is pretty much where both were chopped off. being beween the bend and the line is pulled in a semi-circle when the fish turns, pulling the stems of the marabou across its teeth. Both times a feather was clipped off it was on the side of the fly next to the bottom jaw. Both times the stem was clipped off close to the head where it was held by thread wraps and unable to flex. To summerize, the fly rotates on the bend, dragging the marabou across the teeth, and are clipped of near the head because they can't flex that close to the head. Think about it, this is why we need steel leaders. This should have been self evident to the most casual observer and never have needed debate. They swim as stiff as a palolo worm, are way to prone to tooth damage, do not outfish the Reynold's pike fly, and I did not notice them being noticably easier to cast. I use a very fast 10 wt. R.L. Winston which does not have a problem with larger flies. I don't know what pikeflyguy uses, but if he has a noticable differance casting them I think it is the rod. I tried it, and I don't like it. By the way, both feathers that were cut off left the end of the stem in the fly, and had in effect, a tag end still showing. This can't be blamed on the way they were tied. No thread was cut and no stems were pulled loose. Both were cut off away from the head, not in it. The last thing I have to say about this fly is that I had to go to the craft store to get this big cheap marabou. It is not the best marabou for flies, it is a bad design.[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong picture, man I miss the little paper clip. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That is one heck of a nice fish Dan! I would like the recipe and a picture of one of the flies you use please.
It looks like you guys have the question of patterns covered and especially with the pike Dan posted................................... I want to sneak in a suggestion if I may. this is for the original poster's question, I'm a dinosaur kinda and I like the McNally Magnum. I like them in red / white, yellow / red, and golden brown badger with a ginger chenille body. I used to fish them single and tied as tandem hook flies using a #8 double hook trailing in the saddle hackles. You can find it by googling the name and snooping around a bit. Old school I know but fun to tie and fish.

They aren't too heavy to cast and if the fish are willing they seem to work well. The Badger pattern has caught more pike for me than the flashy ones.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

Not a problem hardyreels. I will upload a picture and post a recipe. Check back in a day or two. I almost always use a Reynolds Pike fly. I have changed Barry Reynold's pattern a bit though. Instead of the big thread head, I use a heart bead I get from the craft store. It makes a bigger head that is completely tooth proof. The way I tie them the only place they can be damaged is the small amount of marabou I use and the crystal flash. It does not seem to keep the pike from biting after they cut all of that off though. I think it is there more to appeal to me than the fish. By the way, that fish was caught in Warroad. I have caught so many pike over 40" there I can't even calculate a close number. I get a bunch up to 43 1/2". After that they are pretty rare. I have caught a 45 1/2 and a 46 incher. Nothing between 43 1/2 and the 45 1/2. By the way what is the McNally Magnum?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

If I recall correctly the McNally Magnum for Pike is;

Hook: Mustad 3665A size 2 or similar
Tandem: If used, Mustad double #8
Body: Ginger chenille
Wing: 5 or 6 long (5-6") golden edged badger saddle hackles
Collar: Golden edged badger

You can imagine how this will look, the action is what made them great, swimming, jigging, undulating like nothing I have ever seen. I will tie one and PM the picture to you. ASAP

This may be what you need to break the 46" ceiling. Old McNally would be pleased.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

The way I tie the Reynold's Pike Fly; 1/0 Mustad 37187, tie on a weed gaurd with 30 or 40 pound mono. start on top of the hook and wrap down about half down the bend. Then 5 min. epoxy the wraps. Tie on a 4 or 5" magnum zonker strip as the tail. Put 4 or 5 peices of crystal flash on each side of the tail. make them about an inch shorter than the tail. Right in front of the tail tie on a bunch of marabou in a contrasting color. (This is not overly needed, I just like it for the looks, and the pike chew it up.)Palmer a cross cut piece of rabbit tha same color as the tail up to about 1/4" from the eye of the hook. Pull the weed gaurd mono up through the hook eye and wrap it down to the rabbit. Fold the top of the mono down over the top a wrap it down and clip off the excess. wrap thread over the head area till it is almost as big as the hole in a heart bead (from the craft store). Scratch a spot on each side of the heart bead where you will epoxy dome eyes. mix the 5 min. epoxy and coat the thread wraps and slide the heart bead over it and stick the eyes on. I make sure there is a small bit of epoxy all the way around the eyes. These work so well I seriously don't think Pike even care what color they are. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Thanks Dan,

They are very similar to the Magnum. I will make some to try at the lake. The pike are taking over our lake and the state encourages taking as many as possible. I don't know if I'll get at them this fall but when I do I'll let you know how the fly preforms on AK. pike.

Ard

Old 10-13-2009, 12:39 AM

muskyman is on a distinguished road

intresting argument.

that marabou mess posted by pikeflyguy looks like a rookie that has no idea of how to use materials tied it

I have also used and tied the Reynolds pike fly pattern, they catch fish but they really dont grab the attention of the musky IMHO

I tie alot of different streamer patterns and also foam headed poppers that work better for me then a simple rabbit strip.

As far as casting wet rabbit flies I guess I dont really see that as a issue either, fly rods have gotten so light just grab a bigger rod. I often use my GLX 12 weight when I am casting big 10-12" streamers and the extra rod not only makes the casting easier it also makes the fish easier to release because you can land them quicker.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

I actually messed around with pikeflyguys pattern, and I got it where it doesn't die the first fish that hits it. I tied the marabou all the way back at the bend end of the shank I then 5 min. epoxied the snot out of the shank and the stems I just tied in, and then with the epoxie still wet wrapped white pseudo hackle over it to the eye and then whipped and epoxied the head. The idea was to get the exposed stems as close to where the fish is and eliminate the chopping rotation. I would imagine that the stinger hooks he is so fond of would create a rotation that could destroy a fly in seconds. Even the way I tied them, they still die in fairly short order but it does make it through more fish this way. I still don't like them much. I agree that musky don't like the reynold's pike fly as much as some other patterns, But they still catch 'em. The biggest musky I ever hooked on a fly was a purple one. It ran at me and did a big summersaulting leap and came off. I followed that with a string of bad words that could remove hair. Black and purple seem to be the best musky colors. I don't think pike care what color they are. What patterns are you using there musky man?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM

muskyman is on a distinguished road

Dan here are a couple of streamers I tied for musky. I like to use the Epi fiber in combination with flashabou and big hair fiber to get the large silouette I like without any bulk. By changing the hook I can make the fly stay shallow or go deeper depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

The best part of these flies is the monster smallies like to eat them as well.

Click the image to open in full size.