The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 10:12 AM

FlyBoyWray is on a distinguished road
Default Pike / Muskie fishing

With the weird temp we have been having here in the mid west this winter, dose anyone have any idea when to head out for some pike? Will this weather screw up the spawn?

I live in Nebraska and I have always gone out just after ice out...

Click the image to open in full size.

Would anyone be willing to share some patterns as well? I have always just winged it when it comes to pike fly patterns.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 AM

NDflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pike / Muskie fishing

You don't need a big assortment of flies for pike. Use decievers, clousers, EP's and bunnys in the biggest sizes you can cast and give them a lot of flash.

Last edited by NDflyfisher; 02-02-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

FlyBoy: Can't help with the patterns as I have never fished for pike. Great photo and nice fish, I bet they are a blast to fish on a fly rod.

Larry
Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Palmer Smallie is on a distinguished road

This is a pattern I have been working on for Muskie and big Smallies...
Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Palmer Smallie is on a distinguished road

This is just one of my streamer patterns I use for mid to late summer Muskie

Old 06-01-2009, 03:09 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Around MN I usually hit the water when temps got up to around 60-65 degrees. They start getting more active when water heats up. Dahlberg divers, clousers of almost any color patterns and deceivers work well for pike, muskies and bass.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The Best Pike fly ever is the Reynold's Pike fly. I tie them with a heart bead from the craft store for a head which eliminated the last tooth vulnerable spot. They work so well I don't even think it matters what color they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pike flies2.JPG (86.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 PM

FlyBoyWray is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the information.

Diver Dan, is your fly all rabbit? and how deep do you fish them?

Old 06-21-2009, 03:12 PM

PikeFlyGuy is on a distinguished road

The problem I have with bunny strip flies is they hold a lot of water, making them tiring to cast. Also, if not weedless (and sometimes even with weed gurads) the bunny strip tends to foul on the hook during the cast, ruining the effectiveness of the fly. My favorites are tied with marabou - 2 flared reds first, with 2 flared white (or yellow or chartrouse) tied over and outside them. Then add 10 pieces of pearl flashabou on top, about 2" longer than the wings. 2 large dumbell eyes (tungsten is best) tied on the bottom of the head help bring strikes and focus the fish on the front of the fly, where the hook is. The fly can be tied hook point up, between the wings, which makes it virtually weedless. A mylar tube boidy (or wound silver tinsil chenille) adds flash, if you want to bother. Also works great in all-black. The flies are surprisingly tough, and I've taken 15 - 20 fish on one, and they are easily repaired in the field with a few spare feathers. Use plenty of head cement or epoxy on all your wrappings. Don't forget a Tyger Wire-type bite tippet or you'll lose some big fish.

Good luck.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 02-05-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM

PikeFlyGuy is on a distinguished road

If you can find shallow bays with dark bottoms, they should be stacked up with pike on sunny days in the early season, right after ice out. These warm quickly, attracting the fish. Usually deerhair Dahlberg-type flies are great at that time.

Just talked to a camp opeator in N. Saskatchewan (Reindeer Lake). The lake is still largely iced in, with only a few bays opening up...at least 3 weeks later than usual! So much for Global warming.