The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 04:34 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road
Default Cedar Rapids, IA in July

Looks like the family will be going to Cedar Rapids for my wifes' twenty something high school reunion. We will be staying about a week or so, I want to get away to do some warm water fishing. Is there anyplace where I can drive to and do some fly rodding for bass, crappie, 'gills or whatever? Any information is appreciated.

Thomas.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 PM

gillh2o is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cedar Rapids, IA in July

I would recommend Pleasant Creek Lake north of Palo. It's about 20 minutes northwest of Cedar Rapids. It's probably the clearest man made lake in Iowa. I have fished it for 20+ years. It is a great largemouth and muskie fishery and also has a good population of walleye and white bass. I believe the DNR maybe planting wipers also. The lake is about 400 acres and sits high to the surrounding terrain. I would focus on points at that time of year. The size limit on bass is 18 inches and muskies is 40 inches. if you are interested in cold water the Manchester state hatchery and Spring Branch Creek offers brown, brooke and rainbows. It's north of C.R. on highway 13. Good luck! Johng
Old 05-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Hey John,

Thanks a bunch. That is a great start. I know my mother in law is more interested in seeing the grandkids and won't miss my presence too much. My brother in law wants to take me for some trout fishing but I will be just as happy chasing warm water fish there.

Again, thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Here is a link to IA DNR. I grew up in this area many years ago and have fished many of these streams at one time or another.

IA DNR: Iowa Trout Streams
Old 07-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

Haha- I will be in that reunion. Who is your wife?

What type of fish do you want to pursue?
There are local places right in Cedar Rapids. I fish the Cedar down town for Smallies almost every week, althgouh right now the river is high. Central City and the Wapsi is close as well and we hit pike last weekend. You can walk to wapikata from here as well, these are more back waters on the Wapsi.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM

Hey Gar,

I will send a PM. I would like to fish for warm water fish. Here in NM, I can get quality trout fishing on tailwaters; streams and rivers, lakes and such. Just to try something different.