Wanted: Norvise system

qacwac

Reaction score
Well, after quite a bit of research, I think I'm going to go with the Norvise system. The main complaint seems to be that it takes some getting used to after using traditional vises, so while I've tied some with traditional vises, I haven't tied enough to be used to it, so I'm just going to skip getting used to a traditional vise and going to get used to a Norvise. I'm looking for the vise and automatic bobbin.

I can get them new for $330, so I'm looking to pay less than that.

audax

Reaction score
J Stockard promo this month would get you a Norvise plus an auto bobbin kit shipped to you for 295.00

troutnut4

Reaction score
Bought one a few months ago. I have not tied flies prior to that so not used to any other vise. Also purchased several additional bobbins and just picked up the fine point jaws. Makes tying size 18 and smaller a lot easier. Love the rotary feature for dubbing materials. Love it.:D

comeonavs

Reaction score
uggg

Thx man that Jstockard deal on the Norvise might have me groveling to my wife tonight. Just for the record she does not compute the ease of spinning super fine dubbing to tie dries = $350 worth of value

Do I need to remind her I got zip zilch nada for our 10 year anniversary last week and she reaped all the spoils of the little time we had to celebrate. Dinner at her place of choice, shopping spree on Pearl Street in Boulder and what her mom gave us went to her.....hmmm :thumbsup:

qacwac

Reaction score
Any of you guys who have the Norvise also have the mounting board? I'm not getting it, but was going to make my own and was wondering how far apart the vise and thread post are on the one you buy. I imagine I can figure it out once I get them, but I kind of am anxious to do something so building it and a tool caddy seems like fun.

Thanks,
Seth

comeonavs

Reaction score
Straight form the NorVise website FAQ, the board he sells measure 14x18. So it looks like 16" from vise mount to the other mount hole. Probably leaves about 11-12" from tip of vise jaws to bobbin holder

This is a copy/paste

There is (or was) a drawing with your vise showing a recommended distance of 14" to 18" for the mounting holes about 1" in from the front edge of your board or table. Some commercial fly tyers will have several mounting holes for optimal spacing depending on what they will be tying at the time. I like mine 16" apart.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Thanks, comeonavs. Believe it or not, I did check the website first, Norvise - Bamboo Mounting Board - High Quality Fly Tying Vise, but the info isn't on the product page. I guess the FAQ would have been a good place to check next. I like the idea of the multiple holes. Thanks.
The only reason I know is I did the same exercise as you the other night. I couldn't find it to save my life. Then was looking at the FAQ for something else and there it was. Some web designers aren't very good at linking things together or making stuff flow very well.

Let us know how you like it when you use it, A Norvise is on my Christmas wish list. I have and love the Peak Rotary but like the concept of the Norvise.

qacwac

Reaction score
Ha. I don't feel quite as bad now. And I'll let you know. I'll post some photos as soon as I have something setup as well.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Please do let us know

Just for the record my wife just dropped a F-bomb on me, called me a stubborn SOB, pain in the arse.....:eek:

All because I said I am going to save my Christmas money my mom always sends me at Christmas for a Norvise at the January fly show in Denver. She proceeded with the pleasantries and told me I set the all time record by blowing Christmas in August

Apparently she was going to get me one for Christmas :popcorn:

Jackster

Reaction score
I went to a local kitchen remodeling store and asked if I could dumpster dive for some of the sink cutouts from countertops they install. These are usually just tossed out but can be repurposed as very nice Norvise bases. The owner also ties so took me back in the shop where he sliced off a piece of the material of my choice.
I could have made mine of marble and other types of stone but opted for some kind of Corian-like plastic. It's easier to drill into and lighter in weight but also easier to smooth and radius the edges so I don't get bit.

audax

Reaction score
Any of you guys who have the Norvise also have the mounting board? I'm not getting it, but was going to make my own and was wondering how far apart the vise and thread post are on the one you buy. I imagine I can figure it out once I get them, but I kind of am anxious to do something so building it and a tool caddy seems like fun.

Thanks,
Seth
If you haven't yet reached for the drill...

The holes on the Norvise board are 14" center-to-center, which I've found to be a practical distance. It's far enough apart to keep my hand from bumping the thread post, and I don't see what benefit another 2-3" would provide.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Dumb question but what size holes do you put in the mounting board to attach the parts ?

Have a feeling a Norvise could be under the tree this week

audax

Reaction score
I checked my spare set of Norvise mounting bolts for you. The bolts appear to be 1/4-20, since they match the mount the camera. So you want a 1/4" dia hole to clear the bolt threads.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I checked my spare set of Norvise mounting bolts for you. The bolts appear to be 1/4-20, since they match the mount the camera. So you want a 1/4" dia hole to clear the bolt threads.

Awesome thank you, I googled it forever last night and couldn't find it for some odd reason. All I could find is get a 16" wide board and inset the holes 1" on each side to achieve a 14" gap. Now I just hope someone buys me the vise and I can make the board. Worst case scenario I will buy one from Norm at the Denver Fly Show in a few weeks.

Thanks again

audax

Reaction score
You're welcome. I'm sure you'll let us know what you think of it. Keep it merry.