The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Warmwater Articles

Warmwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bass, panfish, pike and other warmwater species.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 PM

southflflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default 3wt or 4wt for bluegill.

I'm looking to get a nice 3/4 wt reel for under 150. Also wanted to know if i should go with a 3wt or 4wt rod.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:58 PM

rockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 3wt or 4wt for bluegill.

I'd go with a 3 wt., full flex, 8 or 8 1/2 ft. I'd also be hoping to hook up with some smallmouth.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:01 PM

moucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of light

You can reel 'em in on a 3 weight, easy peasy. But if you want to throw poppers and foam spiders at 'em, especially in the wind, you might be happier with a 6. It's more about the casting than the fighting.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM

keithsz is on a distinguished road

Look for a fiberglass rod and an inexpensive reel. You'll be able to go up and down at least one line weight and you'll be able to cast in wind. Grab an Eagle Claw Featherlight in 4/5wt. or 5/6wt.
As far as the reel, you don't need any incredible drag for bluegills.
Check the big box store or online. Look for a combo.

Last edited by keithsz; 01-23-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: rewording
Old 01-23-2015, 04:01 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

A 4 weight rod will be more than enough for bluegill. No reason for you to get a 6 weight. Plenty of reel options in that range to meet your needs. The Lamson Konic is a popular choice. I'd consider the Taylor Type 1 or the Allen Trout II.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Allen ats-all you will ever need for panfish. or ramp it up and get the trout II for a bit more. both great reels, perfect for your needs.

Casey

ARFE
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
A 4 weight rod will be more than enough for bluegill. No reason for you to get a 6 weight.
I use a 6wt
The only reason is because I have a bunch of them and they need the exercise.
They're all fiberglass
Glass rods are more responsive than graphite so using a heavier line is not as noticeable.
It's not a matter of "needing" a 6wt, it's only that such a rod is just as appropriate as a lighter line graphite
Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 PM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

i like to fish a 2 or 3wt. for gills. loads of fun.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:47 PM

boogeyklat is on a distinguished road

I fish for bluegill all the time when I can't get away from the city. A 3wt is more than enough. Get a 4wt if you are gonna ever use it for trout.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:35 AM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

Here's exactly what I would get if I were in your shoes,

Rod: Klassic Glass Fiberglass 7 ft, 3 pc, 3/4 wt Rod | The Angler's Roost

Line: DT 4 F | The Angler's Roost

Backing: A.R.E. Fly Line Backing - White | The Angler's Roost

Reel: Aluminum Fly Reel for 3/4wt lines. 2 Stage Drag Clicker | The Angler's Roost

Or ebay deal of your liking.

If you got all of the above, you'd still be under the $150 goal, and you'd have a great set up for gills or trout. If you want to spend a little more, upgrade the reel to something a little classier. But in all honesty, you're never going to put a gill on the reel, it's just there to hold your line.

A 3-4wt glass rod just makes so much sense for your intended use. I would not consider going above 4wt. 6wt is more of a bass rod in my mind.