The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Warmwater Articles

Warmwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bass, panfish, pike and other warmwater species.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 PM

mjkirshner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing on the Sidewalk

One has to wonder about the quality of the water he is fishing... then again, maybe one does not...
Old 12-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Banned

mridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant futuremridenour has a brilliant future

My grandpa told me that when my uncle was a little boy he took his fishing pole out into the street and carefully lowered his baited hook through a hole in the manhole cover. Grandpa asked him what he was doing.

"There's water down there. I'm fishing!"

"Well, if you catch one, how you going to get it through that little hole?"

Uncle Mel said, "Hmmm, hadn't thought of that."

So Grandpa had him get into the car and they spent the rest of the day up on Grand Mesa.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:28 AM

flyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to behold

There is a small village in the U.K. where a small tributary of the Test actually runs under the main road through the village. I have actually seen decent sized trout on the down stream side of the road holding at the outlet feeding on whatever was being flushed through, literally beside the sidewalk.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 AM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post
One would have to be very hungry to eat one of those walking catfish, for conversation sake I have tried them, uukkk the bottom of the catfish food chain; bloody red flesh. I tad below the hard head sea catfish.
Now the gafftopsail catfish is not that bad and most people I've tried a taste test with had a hard time telling them from farm raised catfish.

I guess this kid would not be a posterboy for catch and release fame.
In any case, have any of you ever been stung by a walking catfish? About like a really bad hornet sting which lasts for hours.

By the way, both channel cats and gafftopsails will take a fly and I've taken gaffs on a popping bug.
Hard heads will take a fly as well. I've caught a few on clousers and shrimp patterns. Never eaten one. I release the gafftops I catch too. I can't get past the slime. But some people in Texas eat gafftops, very few eat hard heads. Hard heads have a nasty "sting" as well. My friend ended up in the emergency room after getting finned in the hand.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:23 PM

msl819 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_rover View Post
Is that...a sewer? Is he s**** fishing?
That's what I thought
Old 04-10-2017, 03:13 PM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
That's what I thought
Looks like a benjo!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 AM

carriepalmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmprohv View Post
Fishing on the Sidewalk . you can do this??

Look he Fishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhJfSr_gDzY
Absolutely not a everyday see