The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Warmwater Articles

Warmwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bass, panfish, pike and other warmwater species.

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 03:17 PM

bob3700 will become famous soon enoughbob3700 will become famous soon enough
Default Setting the Hook

Recently, I have been having issues with fish coming unbuttoned.

Dry fly fishing for bluegill and bass. Fly hits the water, and fish jumps on the fly. Good size splash and I can feel the tug. Lift my rod and nothing. Fly comes sailing back at me.

Good size splash and the fish starts running with the fly and I actually have em on the line. Three to five seconds of running and the fly comes sailing back at me.

Wait longer for the fish to suck the fly in? Not setting fast enough?

Its not like I am not catching fish, it is just that there are ones that get away that feel like they are hooked than then the fly comes sailing back at me.

Frustrating.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:22 PM

benpuls98 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Setting the Hook

That happens to me a lot also. I think that a lot of the time the bluegills never actually get hooked, and instead just hit the fly and hook set or not, you won't connect. I actually tested this once and watched some nice sized gills come up and hit the fly, without pulling it under, to the point that the fly stayed afloat (they weren't foam either). Also, when you feel the fish on, they may just be holding on to the body of the fly and then decide to let go. Not sure what size you are throwing, but it may be advantageous to try dropping down a hook size. With a smaller fly, they may be more apt to eat it fully instead of nibbling.
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Dry flies are light weight and bass tend to whack them hard.
There's a big cushion of water coming up between bass and fly so very often that fly just get pushed out of the way.
On top of that, bass have tough mouths. Little hooks might not penetrate.
For top water bass a size 6 is as small as I go and a size 2 to 1/0 is normal
Old 08-04-2015, 04:36 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Learn to use the strip strike method for setting the hook instead of lifting the rod. I've been doing this for a long time now & it's improved my hook ups. But, with floating flies it's generally best to wait until you feel the tug first before setting the hook.

However, as has already been said, sometimes they simply won't have it in their mouth, so any attempt at setting the hook only pulls it away from them.

Nothing is ever guaranteed!
mcnerney and wee hooker like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:38 PM

smilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of lightsmilingduck is a glorious beacon of light

Always carry a hook sharper and get in the habit of using it when changing flies.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Check the fly you are see how much of the hook GAP is being narrowed by the body of the fly. For example, see how the body of this popper blocks and narrows the hooking gap.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you are using a fly like a wooly bugger, another possiblity is that the fish are striking short and grabbing the trailing marabou behind the hook.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-04-2015, 06:11 PM

rangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to behold

Already a lot of good advice here, so I'll limit myself to one thing. You say in your OP that the fly ends up flying back at you. Besides being a little dangerous, this may indicate that your strike angle needs to be adjusted. Try setting the hook (strip set) to slightly one side (downstream in moving water) and set the hook more than once. At the very least this should keep the fly from flying back at your face.

Also, try to keep the rod tip relatively low, as the higher your tip is at the hook set, the less actual pressure is delivered to the hook point. This can be as little a a couple ounces depending on several factors, such as rod length, rod angle, rod flex, line stretch, length of line, etc.

With bass and that tough bony mouth, you want to be able to deliver as much pressure to that hook as possible, which means keeping the rod low and a solid strip set.

The short version of this would be: rod HIGH=LESS pressure to the hook. Rod LOW=MORE pressure to the hook.

Hope that helps.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-05-2015, 05:07 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Check the fly you are see how much of the hook GAP is being narrowed by the body of the fly. For example, see how the body of this popper blocks and narrows the hooking gap.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you are using a fly like a wooly bugger, another possiblity is that the fish are striking short and grabbing the trailing marabou behind the hook.
I often turn popper bodies on my micro lathe, put them on the hook shank and then feed it through the bandsaw to cut off the lower part which closes the hook gap.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:28 PM

cab is just really nicecab is just really nicecab is just really nicecab is just really nicecab is just really nice

My answers aren't new, maybe I"ll put things another way:

Often fish will just try to drown a bug on the surface, then they actually eat it. I like to keep my tip down, and the end of the flyline in my peripheral vision. Wait until you see the line move, then set the hook.

When you set the hook on those hard- mouthed critters, SET THE HOOK! You gotta yank the taste out of their mouths! A strip set is best, but unnatural for a trout guy. While in AK, I developed a "yank set" that worked well enough. Setting more than once is a good idea, too.

HTH,
CAB
Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 AM
risering50

All good advice so far, especially about the hook gap of poppers.

ALWAYS wear glasses - No excuses. The more warm water fly fishing you do, the more chances you will get to feel the hook.

Missed strikes/look see's, are all part of the deal thank goodness. Many times you will remember them more than the fish you did catch. Enjoy yourself.