The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Warmwater Articles

Warmwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bass, panfish, pike and other warmwater species.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM

isaiah20 is on a distinguished road
Default Smallmouth Wastefully killed.

Sorry guys I need a bit of time to vent.

I unexpectedly stumbled upon a small school of maybe 15-20 smallmouths yesterday. They were all about 4-6 inches. I was super psyched because I have not seen any smallmouth that small for a long time. The population is not very good on my home stream anymore. The sight of these fish gave me a glimmer of hope.

I was walking the banks as I usually do looking for carp with my Cabelas Prime 5 wt. (They are all pretty small) Walked about 3 miles running into a number of fisherman. All of which are fishing with 2 or 3 rods. Only 1 is legal in Minnesota. I walked by the little "sanctuary", only to see all of them belly up in a bucket. I asked if they caught anything and the response was "A lot, but they are all small."

I got so angry that someone would keep these that I walked back to the car and went home. This truly saddens me.
argail likes this.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 PM

sabbatoy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smallmouth Wastefully killed.

If they were doing something illegal, call the fish cops..
Old 07-02-2016, 11:33 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

Should've called TIP. Would've solved the illegal activities and you likely would've gotten some extra padding in your pocket as they pay for solid intel.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:28 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

Here in CA we have "Cal Tip" available as an app on your cell phone.
There are way too few DFW officers, and they appreciate our being their eyes and ears. Now, if we could persuade the folks at top to make the penalties much more painful . . .
onemississipp likes this.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Just say, "Wow, I haven't caught a thing. Do you fellas mind holding those fish up? I'd like to show my wife that there really are fish in this stream."

Then go a take a photo of all the license plates in the parking area send all photos to the DNR warden.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Fkrow is on a distinguished road

Our state DEP game wardens advise not to get into a discussion confrontation ,,, admire the fish bucket take a cell phone photo. In addition, photo of their license plate.

Send to agency,, the idiots will soon get a visit ,, with fines and loss of fishing license.

Regards,
FK
Old 07-06-2016, 07:04 PM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
Here in CA we have "Cal Tip" available as an app on your cell phone.
There are way too few DFW officers, and they appreciate our being their eyes and ears. Now, if we could persuade the folks at top to make the penalties much more painful . . .
Have called CalTip various times and unfortunately a warden was not available each time I called.

Can't say I didn't try, though.

(Then again, in the 25+ years I've been fishing, I've only been asked for my license 4 times. And 2 were at a private 'pay to fish' lake in San Diego, where I assume the average poacher won't be visiting.)

It sucks when people are ignorant to regulations and laws. And of course, if you try to educate them, you become the ahole.
smarty140 likes this.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 AM

spameggsandrice is on a distinguished road

As angler's I feel that it is our obligation to make sure we help make sure that everyone follows the rules and if they are not we should take appropriate action. This reminds me of the video of a guy killing a muskie and throwing it in the water. It was all caught on video. He was fined and everything.

"Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe the 1 reason why it will".
Old 07-19-2016, 12:16 PM

mikew1959 is a jewel in the roughmikew1959 is a jewel in the roughmikew1959 is a jewel in the rough

If you do nothing how do you expect anything to change?
You are almost as guilty as them in my opinion which I'm sure won't be popular.
If you are so concerned about it shouldn't you have done something to stop it or report it?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 PM

powerstroke2016 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spameggsandrice View Post
As angler's I feel that it is our obligation to make sure we help make sure that everyone follows the rules and if they are not we should take appropriate action. This reminds me of the video of a guy killing a muskie and throwing it in the water. It was all caught on video. He was fined and everything.
Agree 100%! There aren't enough Wardens to see what is going on & unfortunately there are people out there that will do stuff like that because they know it's unlikely there will be any recource for doing it.