The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Warmwater Articles

Warmwater Articles Articles on fly fishing for bass, panfish, pike and other warmwater species.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default What's Out There to Fly Fish For? - by Dave Whitlock

[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=168&stc=1[/img2] What's Out There to Fly Fish For?
By Dave Whitlock

As I was growing up in Oklahoma's warm waters, all I had to fly fish for was bass and sunfish. Nothing had spots except an occasional accidental channel catfish! There were no trout, no grayling, no salmon... poor Okie from Muskogee, I used to think. My young brain had been tattooed from reading magazines, books, and catalogs that fly fishing wasn't fly fishing unless I was wading a cold, clear stream where colorful, spotted torpedoes broke the surface for graceful, sail-winged, blue dun colored, floating mayflies. Oh, to be among the privileged trout and salmon fly-fishing elite!

Well, I got an education, a job, vacation time and joined the 'real' world of fly fishing back east, up north and out west! It was fantastic! Then when I was about 30, I started to change my thinking. Why? Well, for several reasons. First, two or three weeks of 'real' fly fishing a year was just not enough. It was also becoming harder to find and more expensive, plus my wife and kids were learning to fly fish and needed more of my time. At that point, I had also begun considering an occupation change from petroleum research to ...fly fishing!

The more I thought, remembered and looked around, the clearer it became to me that almost at my doorstep there was an abundance of cool and warm water creeks, rivers, ponds and lakes loaded with wild game fish that we could access after work and school and on weekends or holidays. So we began to revisit some eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas past favorite spots and explore new ones. Every place was a new adventure, and with just a few tackle and fly modifications, we caught an amazing variety of fish on flies. There were largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, white bass, blue gill, green sunfish and at least eight or 10 other species of sunfish! But that was just the beginning. I also caught drum, sauger, channel catfish, carp, chubs, gar, bowfin, fresh water herring, shad and bullfrogs! What fun! All these species have their own special qualities.

So, do yourself a favor this season. If you haven't already discovered the other, more abundant fun part of fly fishing, those warm and cool water, fresh and salt water fish that'll gobble your fly, try them out in your 'home' waters. Chances are, you'll find more elbow room, have more success and perhaps even more fun fly fishing...and definitely more often.

Article courtesy of Dave Whitlock at Fly Fishing with Dave and Emily Whitlock in the Oklahoma Ozarks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaveW.jpg (16.3 KB, 1712 views)

Old 03-07-2007, 05:45 PM

rrichie will become famous soon enoughrrichie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's Out There to Fly Fish For? - by Dave Whitlock

Thanks Dave, you are truly a man after my own heart!!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Amen Brother Amen...............

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-04-2007, 03:14 PM

Memphis is on a distinguished road

I'm hitting my first lake on my first go at fly fishing this weekend! I am completely stoked! Thanks for the article!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:13 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
I'm hitting my first lake on my first go at fly fishing this weekend! I am completely stoked! Thanks for the article!
That's awesome! Good luck!

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Taylor Davis is on a distinguished road
Default your aticle

i read your article in the july issue of fly fisherman. i just wanted to say how god it was and your tips relly helped alot.

Taylor D.
tie one on -------<*))))))<
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: What's Out There to Fly Fish For? - by Dave Whitlock

I lived in Colorado for 21 years and I fly fished a lot for trout in the rivers and lakes there and I caught a lot of nice rainbow trout, cut's and browns. I moved to Arkansas 10 year ago and bought a bass boat and I have been spin fishing for bass, crappie, and catfish.

Well I recently got the bug to start fly fishing the lakes and streams here for warm water fish and your article was refreshing. I also plan on going north and fishing the white river and little red river for trout occassionly. The deal is I have a large lake adjacent to were I live and several watersheds close by so I also plan on belly boating on them as well.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Whitlock I have been reading your articles for so many years and they still inspire me. Like you I had no trout close by so when most kids caught bluegills as there first fly caught fish I started with bluefish , stripers and flounder. Thanks for many good articles over the years!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser