Bass!!!!!!!!!!

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Just went to a local pond and got me some BBBBBBAAAAAASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!:frogdance:frogdance Got three between 9-10-1/2 inches. Had another strike and spooked four or five:mad::mad::mad: got 'em all on size 8 clousers in chartruse over white.Also got me many 'gillss, as they seem to be mesmorized by the clouser.I got to see two of the bass take it. All in all a sweet day.........................but I forgot a camera camera:(
Oh well, it was awsome anyway. Especially on a level 5wt.:):):):):):):):)

BAM

Reaction score
What are you using for eyes on the Clousers? Bead chain , lead eyes , etc. and what size on a #8? Inquiring minds need to know.:grin:

jimw

Reaction score
I have had very good success using a #8 daves hopper for gills and catching a bunch of bass while doing it. nothing big but lots of action. I dont know which are more fun the gills or the bass. It's all good.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
SHJ-

Sounds like you're getting the hang of fishing those streamers! :)

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
I'm usin' beadchain eyes, as I was fishin' 1-1/2 to 2 foot. Just some silver stuff I got in bulk at Home Depot.

Thanks for the hopper tip. I'll keep it in mind. Nothin' like dries:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm workin' on it. I actually started off for gills but spooked a couple14"-15" bass and remembered what you said on te trout post so I tied on a clouser and WAM!!!!! Thanks for the advise:thumbsupu:thmbup::thumbup:

FrankB2

Reaction score
Excellent :) !

I use bead chain clousers for smallmouth on two nearby rivers. They're
pretty much all I ever need, and the bead chain is less likely to snap a rod
section :eek::eek::eek:.

I've been tossing little floating muddlers and Letort Crickets at bluegills for
a long time, but lately my wife and I just use #12 and #14 Parachute Adams,
and BWO's.

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
One of 'em jumped about a foot in the air, shakin' his wide head the whole way. Really got me to laughin' 'cause he was around ten inches, but he was actin' like big stuff.LOL

THose dries really are irresistible to 'gills. Love to toss one in just enough wind to move the line without creating ripples or chop. The flies movin' along on the still surface all peaceful and bloop!!!!!

I love bead chain closusers. Very easy to throw on a 5wt. compared to lead:icon_roll Still gives a bit of a thud on the backcast but its fun. Plus those little bass and 'gills fight hard on one of those rods. Just kinda hard to throw bugs on it:icon_evil. I can use a six weight for the bugs pretty good though.

Pittflyguy

Reaction score
If you are throwing a 5 or 6 weight, try Gurglers instead of large bugs. They can make just as much of a top water presence but are much much easier to cast eve on a 5 wt. Good luck!

FrankB2

Reaction score
I tied up some #12 Madam X flies in black and tan a couple weeks ago, and
that's all I've used in the past week. They've worked extremely well, both
in lakes and streams. I was going to put together a thread with photos, so
I won't hijack this one ;) .

Wado13Mexico

Reaction score
I love to use those little bett's poppers with rubber leg's, size ten white with black spots, I had one good day during the spring caught three bass, twenty bluegill and a chain pickerel on that dry fly! But my success has lowered ever since then :(

Pocono

Reaction score
Bravo!did your bass do some acrobatic jumps?:starwars::icon_lol:
J-P,

One thing you can say about Bass (Smallmouths, at least) is that they all jump.

I got a few nice ones at a local lake last Sunday. They were hitting on a small black foam spider, just "twitched" a little with tiny strips, at the base of a small dam; just before dark. Once darkness set in, they were hitting again on a small white foam spider pattern. They weren't hitting at all on hoppers (for some strange reason - they usuall kill hopppers). I also got one on a Black Nose Dace streamer; fished with long strips, followed by a series of short "jerks".

The only thing that I don't like about bass fishing, at least Smallmouths, is their "inhale nature" feeding habit. I'd much rather take a dozen hooks out of the side of a trout's mouth than have to reach half way down a bass' throat to take out a hook near the gill area with hemostats. I hold my breath every time I do it. So, far, so good!

And, as I said, they all jump! :icon_wink

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Smallies....You can't beat them for their fight, even the little guys in the stream give you all they got....::icon_lol: Another light fly for you; get some of those walleye floaters that look like little fish. They come in various colors, add a little short marabou tail to them that matches the color scheme. When you twitch them they dive just under the surface then pop back up; the bass love them on my home stream. My two biggest bass of the year came on one.

Dan

Bigfly

Reaction score
Lots of times I've fished my river (hopper/dropper) style to large smallies out of laziness to re-rig. Many take the dropper rather than come clear to the surface.
Lately poppers or sliders fished on a sinking line have been my thing during high noon times.
The Ketchum release works very well for the deep lodged flies. Big Brown Trout will inhale a cray the same way. I don't need to hold them out of the water for the (say ahaaa) procedure, and they are quickly back in the flow. Big Browns need love too.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
JJ-

GREAT shot! Nathaniel looks pretty happy in that pic- he sounds like a great fishing buddy.

mark

futuramille

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, he makes me proud on a daily basis. I couldn't ask for a better fishing partner. He started middle school this week and today came home proudly displaying his great "new library" find....Arthur Oglesby, Lefty Kreh, Steen Ulnitz "complete guide to flyfishing".

He's hooked...;)

trout fishing - Chattooga River two weeks ago.

and to keep the post in the spirit of this thread...