The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 PM

tinknocker1 is on a distinguished road
Default hello new to the forum.

hello,
i just started flyfishing about a month ago i bought a 4 weight wind river combo from cabela's and have been fishing every chance i get ..mostly catching smallmouths and bluegills from a local lake ...i'm using spider's, popper's, and bully bluegill flies ..
i have a question i want a 6 weight for larger popper's like size 2 to 1/0 larger popper's for larger bass will this rod weight handle the larger popper's ??i'm looking at the cabela's wind river 6 weight 9' combo..
thanks for the help and thanks for having me ..
TK
Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Default Re: hello new to the forum.

nobody can help me out on what weight flyrod i need for larger popper's ??
i been looking at the peck popper's from size 2 up to say 1/0 come on guy's throw me a bone here please ... i have a old heddon pal 7 weight i just tryed and it don't seem like it cast #2 POPPER TO WELL NOT MUCH TIP ..SHOULD I GO WITH A 8 WEIGHT ??
Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum,you should be able to cast poppers with a 7wt maybe your old rod is too soft.Why not try to find an experienced caster to test it or try to borrow another rod from a friend or maybe go to your local flyshop.Sorry not to manage to help you more but I've never used poppers yet.Hope another member will be more helpful
Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tinknocker1,

Sorry no one gave you an answer. If you want to throw big flies and a 1/0 is a big fly for Bass. Or, if you like bunny flies which are very good for Bass, then I would be using an 8wt. It will be too big for bluegills and such. If you are going to target good size Largemouth then I don't think an 8wt is over kill.

One of the reasons you didn't get an answer is the Cabela's combo. I don't think there are a lot of experienced fly fishers using that combo. The Heddon Pal that I know about is fiberglass. The 6wt Heddon Pal was one of the few fiberglass rods that had a tip action. I would assume the 7wt had the same tip action. If you are having trouble with your 7wt and if it is not casting issues I would get the 8wt.

If it was me I would get a hold of a Good graphite rod from one of the major manufacturers and see how it cast your big poppers.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM

thanks guy's !!
i thought you might have a secret handshake or something i was missing
since yesterday i have been looking at a fenwick HMG 9' 8 weight that i might be able squeeze into my budget.. i have a lake close to my house that has some bigger largemouths in it ..i would like to toss a bigger bug from time to time and my little 4 weight just won't do that ..
Old 06-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi again tinknocker1,

I don't know how I missed it but I didn't realize you have been fly fishing for only a month. That has a big impact on my suggestions.

You need to make sure your problem is not your casting ability. If you have not taken a lesson, hired a guide, joined a club or got free lessons from a local fly shop, then lets start over. Your 4wt is not capable of casting the large flies you are wanting to cast. A 6wt is also too light for big Bass Flies. An experienced fly caster can do pretty good with a 6wt but I still think the 8wt is a better choice for you.

Forget Cabela's and find a local fly shop that will give you some casting lessons. One or two will get you started. A really good fly shop will give free fly casting lessons. I think you need some help with your casting.

Then you need to move up to a better rod. The Wind River Combo includes the rod, reel, backing and fly line for $99. That is too much for too little. A good fly line is very important and the line in the Combo has to be marginal. I urge you not to buy another of those Combos. Even if the rod is usable you need a better fly line.

Here is my advise.

1. Get a casting lesson some way, some how. Take your Heddon Pal to the lesson and see how well the instructor can cast it.

2. Save some money and move up to a higher priced Combo or buy individual items. Cabela's has some Combos that include a RIO or SA fly line.

3. Buy an 8wt and you will be equipped for many different fishing situations and fish. Don't buy this rod until you know for sure your casting is OK. Then try the rod before you buy it.

Frank
Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey TK welcome to the forum. I just saw your post, sorry for the delay.

I agree with Frank, I think an 8 weight would be better for casting poppers that big. Not only are they big in hook size but poppers are also very wind resistant compared to stuff like bucktails of the same size. You'd want a rod capable of throwing a heavier line to overcome the wind resistance of poppers, bass bugs and spun deer hair divers or the weight resistance of heavily weighted flies.

With a 6 weight, I'd think poppers in size 6 and 4 would be pushing it. If you're going to be doing a lot of this type of fishing especially if you're going to need to reach out a bit and you're relatively new to FF.

Depending on what you want to fish, I'd either go with a 6 weight and throw smaller stuff like size 6 poppers if your fishing small ponds or streams for small bass (and you can use the rod for throwing stuff at trout too like streamers or large dries like hoppers that might be too big for your 4 weight).

Or go with an 8 weight to throw larger size 2 and 1/0 poppers, bass bugs, divers, rabbit strip flies and heavily weighted stuff like clousers, "pig boats" etc, especially if you fish heavy cover for big bass and/or a lot of open water where wind might be an issue. (The 8 would also be a good light SW weight if there's a possibility you'll be doing that for redfish, FW or SW stripers/wipers, or for FW if you might be chasing steelhead).

A 7 splits the baby of course. Other folks may disagree (and probably will) but a 7 - all things being equal- probably won't throw big stuff as easily as an 8, is overkill for trout in most places, and not as versatile in SW (if that's a consideration), though it would make a good smallie stick if you're throwing size 8-6-4 weighted stuff and poppers up to size 2.

Whatever weight rod you choose, you'll want to use a weight forward taper like a bass bug or SW taper or a slightly "overweight" line from Rio or SA , and a short heavy leader with poppers and other big stuff. Something like an 8' prepackaged bass leader available in shops, or you're own home made versions 6-8' long ending in 10-12lb test.

Hope this helps a bit.

mark

PS- just saw Frank's 2nd post and agree you may want to get a bit of help with your casting. Where abouts are you in Ohio? There are some excellent shops like Mad River Outfitters http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/. They offer FF classes some for free some very reasoably priced like 2 hr casting lessons for 25 bucks, as well as more advanced stuff and guided trips. They could also work with you to set you up with a reasonably priced outfit. Going this route, with personalized service from a knowledgeable FFer from a good local fly shop, MRO or another one that might be closer, is a great way to go rather than taking pot luck in a big box store IMHO, and prices are competitive for the same quality gear.

There are some FF clubs that could also get you off to a good start, with a bunch of clubs affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers in Ohio ( Cinncy, Dayton, Norton, Shelby, Perrysburg, Painsville and Avon OH). They offer casting clinics, informative meetings, group trips to local waters and they are generally very welcoming to new comers). The FFF also has certified casting instructors that you can look into if you want some help and can't find a buddy or shop to give you some pointers. You can find a contact info here:
http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4357
Old 06-22-2009, 12:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking about a Fenwick, look here

ffo-tackle.com
Old 06-22-2009, 04:17 PM

madriver outfitter's is about 2 hours away from me ..when i can find the time i will head up that way for some lessons and check out what they have to offer ...you guy's have been a big help ..
thanks,
TK
Old 06-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If you're thinking about a Fenwick, look here

ffo-tackle.com
thanks for the link Rip Tide