The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 foot vs 10 foot bass fly rods

Cliff
Would that be the 7', light action, P841-GL2, or the med-light, P842-GL2 ?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It wasn't labeled. I found it via going through old stock up in the rafters at the fly shop where I was working at the time. It likely arrived there during the prior owners tenure, putting it prior to '95, I think. The plastic bag it was in had Loomis all over it, and the blank is definitely the matte navy finish found on GL2's. It's actually a 7'6" blank and I would guess its rated for 6-12lb line.

A little research leads me to believe they're not making it anymore, because I really don't think its the p904 rated for 8-17#. That might make an interesting short 12wt though, ideal for throwing quail sized patterns at big pike or snook.

Batson probably makes something that would work equally well, and for much less.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I wouldn't spring for the Loomis, just wondering about the line rating.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy2222 View Post
if anyone has had the chance to try a shorter 7' 11"
The reason they started making 7'11" rods is because BASS does not allow 8' or longer rods in their tournaments. The one and only reason for such a short rod is if you fish in a BASS (Bass Anglers Sportsman's Society) tournament. If you don't or do not plan to fish one of these tournaments in the future, there is absolutely no reason I can think of to fish these stubby rods. I think it would be fun to go and fish in one of these tournaments and see if you could show up the hardware chuckers.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

I have an 2-piece 8' 6wt that I like a lot better than my 4-piece 9' 5wt.
I kayakfish for bass & panfish. The 5wt stays home 95% of the time.

There is just something about the cheaper 6wt that just feels right to me.

I have even tested the 6wt reel/line on a 6' ML spinning rod - FUN!
(Shot the line out with no problem.)

I just like shorter rods better for spinning & baitcasting too.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The one and only reason for such a short rod is if you fish in a BASS (Bass Anglers Sportsman's Society) tournament. If you don't or do not plan to fish one of these tournaments in the future, there is absolutely no reason I can think of to fish these stubby rods.
I disagree. While that short for the heavier line weights have some downfalls, they also absolutely excel at some things. They're generally more accurate, allow you to really tug on a fish when needed, and are a bit easier to swing all day.

That said, their short length makes them best suited to only shallower wading, use from a boat, and situations requiring little to no mending of line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Last edited by BigCliff; 08-19-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=BigCliff;65890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The one and only reason for such a short rod is if you fish in a BASS (Bass Anglers Sportsman's Society) tournament. If you don't or do not plan to fish one of these tournaments in the future, there is absolutely no reason I can think of to fish these stubby rods. /QUOTE]

I disagree. While that short for the heavier line weights have some downfalls, they also absolutely excel at some things. They're generally more accurate, allow you to really tug on a fish when needed, and are a bit easier to swing all day.

That said, their short length makes them best suited to only shallower wading, use from a boat, and situations requiring little to no mending of line.
The last fly rod I built for myself is a 15' 8/9 wt. Meiser Spey rod. I can hit a spot within a foot at 75', and the rod was designed for fish in the 40 lb. zone. Long has harmed me in neither accuracy nor the size fish I can whip into submission. The main problem I have with short is that you can't get the distance with a short rod you can with a long rod. For example, the longest cast I have put a tape measure on with the spey rod is 126'. I have put casts I didn't measure out in next zip code. My best cast ever with a 9' rod never came close to that. It's all about what you want though. If you don't need distance short is not a problem. Where I live it is all big water. Distance is a good thing. Even with casting and spinning rods I like long better. I have not built myself a rod (casting or spinning) shorter than 7' or a fly rod shorter than 9' in years and years.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 AM

kevino is on a distinguished road

What Big Cliff said.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

Cliff is spot on here. I wade a shallow, braided river for largemouths. My 7'10" 6wt Predator lets me get in some tight tree lined places that my 9" rods are a bit cramped in. It also has the backbone to horse fish out of or away from cover, like an 8wt (or better), but with the feel of a 6.

And as someone mentioned earlier, not a lot of false casting with these guys. Pull and shoot. Probably great for those float trips that require quick pick ups and placement, though I haven't actually had that pleasure yet.

A specialty rod for sure, but it definitely has its place.

Sep
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 AM

kevino is on a distinguished road

Sep,

What line are you using on that short six wt?

I picked up a Scott Warm Water Special 6 wt used for a song. I've tried it with 6 wt Rio Nymph and Clouser lines as well as Scientific Anglers Bass Bug taper 6 wt and have great results with all.