The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Smallies

I'm going to see some relatives that live right on the bank of the Greenbriar River in WV.

My question: Is a 5wt heavy enough for decent size smallies? I plan on fishing mostly streamers using furled leaders and 6lb flouro tippets. Streamers are #4-#8.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Smallies

That will work fine for you...

Dan
Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 AM

tjc is on a distinguished road

Your rod is excellent with a 4x tippet. Early and Late are the best times. Oz for oz you won't catch a fish thats fights any harder
Old 06-24-2009, 11:12 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I love smallmouth fishing, and used a 5wt for several years on the Schuylkill
River in Pennsylvania. A 14" smallie was a monster there, and I never had
a problem. I did tend to stick with 3X leader: breakoffs became rare, and
they turn over a beadchain clouser better (for me).
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have some 3X tippet but I was going to use the floro instead....I did another thread precisely about this issue as I've seen some hook size/tippet guides state that 3X is good for #6, then others say 2X is better. My 6lb floro lands someplace in there, so I figured I use it.

I used to pre-tie my floro into leaders for in-line spinners before I caught the fly fishing disease. PITA to tie knots in, you just have to choose the knots carefully.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

I use a 4 wt with 3 ft of 8# mono to 3 ft of 6# mono as leader for the majority of my smallmouth fishing.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Whether a 5wt is enough for smallies depends on their size and the current you'll be dealing with. But with moderate fish fighting skill, it should do just fine.

You'd be wise to keep the tippet at 3x or weaker to keep from breaking your 5wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I got a 5wt tfo pro and it works great for smallies around here.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 AM

I hit the Greenbriar River in WV this past weekend. Caught seven smallies on my 5wt. Used exclusivly streamers. Micky Finn, Bead Head Wooly Boogers, and Black Ghost.

Largest was 7-8", the smallest was 4". No pics, tho, sorry.

The floro worked exceedingly well. I'll remember that for my streamers.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Axle,

I'll be on the Green Briar and the New rivers at the end of July. Hope to add 10 inches to those lengths though... Smallest fish we caught last year was about 15 inches. But they were all right around 15 - 17 inches, nothing bigger...