The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   small mouth flys for murky river? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/10339-small-mouth-flys-murky-river.html)

flyfisher117 07-03-2009 02:43 PM

small mouth flys for murky river?

ok so me and my cousin are fishing for small mouth bass on a murky river that the visibility is maybe 2 ft... but anyways we have caught a few on leeche and bugger type patterns but what else would work.

:eek:

Lambster 07-03-2009 03:01 PM

Re: small mouth flys for murky river?

We've been using Mr.Copper and De Silver metallic streamers on Shoal Bass as well as Smallies.... they work very well!! Best place to purchase these streamers are through Premium Discount Fishing Flies, Trout Flies, Fly Fishing Shop these work great in stained waters or clear! A sinktip line would also help get them down faster even if their already weighted..... for more info on where to purchase these flies please e-mail me!
Lambster
GeorgiaFlyGuide

peregrines 07-03-2009 06:50 PM

Hey flyfisher it sounds like you and your cousin are doing well with the leeches and buggers.

Some things you might want to try;

Colors- black, chartreuse and white are the most visible colors in murky water

Flash- can draw attention by reflecting light

Go big- fish in murky water aren't usually as spooky as they are in clear water so you can often get away with bigger flies and heavier tippet

Flies that push water- fish can also zero in on bait by using their lateral lines to sense vibrations in the water. Stuff like muddlers with spun deer hair heads and flies that have materials like marabou, rabbit strips, streamers with wound hackle that "breathes" we you strip them (like buggers).

Flies that have built in action like Dahlberg Divers that you can bloop along the surface or make them dive a bit on retreive, or have an erratic up and down motion when retreived like clousers.

You might want to look through your fly box to see if you have stuff that combines some of these traits.

If the water is fast and murky due to run off, you might want some heavily weighted versions (with wire wraps, beads or coneheads etc) to get down, or a sink tip, or put a split shot a head of the fly (it can be a pain to cast great though). Look for fish to be out of the main current if the stream is really roaring. Along banks, in deeper water along the bottom in sections with big rocks that break up the flow, deep in quieter pools, insides of bends where the bottom starts to drop might be good places to try. You probably have some stuff in your box like these:

black buggers in larger sizes like 6 and 4
chartreuse or white clousers with flash
flies like Zonkers tied with rabbit strips in black, white, chartreuse or purple
black, white, or yellow marabou muddler
Flash Dancer (basically a muddler with a spun deer hair head, marabou tail and gold flashabou wing) and flies like Lambster suggested.
Anything big like a bucktail, deceiver, marabou, feather wing streamer or whatever 2 1/2"-3" long or bigger if you can throw it.

In slower water, lighter weighted versions of those flies would be good choices as well as stuff like:
poppers (would be fun to try, they make enough commotion that fish could find them)
Black white yellow or chartreuse Dahlberg diver

Hope this helps. Good luck.

mark

MrEsox 07-03-2009 10:21 PM

POPPERS...nuff said

arfishinbear 07-04-2009 09:43 AM

If you ty you can add rattles to your flies, like the ones used for bass jigs and worms. I use to see flies with rattles for sell, I think maybe Cabela's. ?
If you ty and want more info on useing rattles let me know.
Bear

Guest1 07-15-2009 12:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The waters here are pretty stained and early in the year are most often really muddy. I have used these flies with a lot of good results. I like the white funny bunny emerald shiner on clear days and the leech pattern on overcast days.

BigCliff 07-15-2009 08:55 AM

I'll second the reco of large black clousers with lots of flash. Dark or white conehead muddler-type patterns should be a winner as well.

And thanks for planting the idea of doing some black crease flys with my new gadget y'all.
http://www.bearlodgeangler.com/wpe45.jpg

Rip Tide 07-15-2009 09:43 AM

Re: small mouth flies for murky river?

I always follow a couple of lines of thought for this.

First of all, the more stained the water, the higher in the water column the fish may tend to hold.
In clear water the fish will, for safety sake, be glued to the bottom. In murky water they feel a little safer and will tend move up.

Second. I try to match the fly color to the water clarity.
In clear water I like bright colors like white, chartreuse, and silver.
In murky water, I like to fish more earth-toned and subdued colors. Brown, yellow, orange, gold...that sort of thing
IMO it makes a difference

BigCliff 07-15-2009 11:20 AM

Re: small mouth flies for murky river?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 66490)
Second. I try to match the fly color to the water clarity.
In clear water I like bright colors like white, chartreuse, and silver.
In murky water, I like to fish more earth-toned and subdued colors. Brown, yellow, orange, gold...that sort of thing
IMO it makes a difference

Once again, RipTide and I manage to have a different take. In clearer water, I fish streamers that are grey or tan, thinking that the fly needs to look more natural since the fish can see better. In stained water I'll throw white, chartreuse, or black, thinking that a more muted color will be too camoflauged in the murky water and not get as much attention from the fish.

I can't say for sure which one of us is more right. However, I can say that if we were both to use the other's strategy that we had less confidence in for a day, we'd likely catch less fish.

Different strokes for different folks, but always throw what you're most confident in if you want to catch the most fish.

Rip Tide 07-15-2009 12:42 PM

Smallmouth are even less selective than largemouth.
If they can see it and if they can catch it, they'll eat.
The hard part is figuring out where they are.
:icon_wink