The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 PM

BAM is on a distinguished road
Default Smallies under log jam

Any suggestions on techniques or patterns that would allow you drift under a log jam and reduce the number of snags. The river splits around the pile and is only ankle deep as it comes up to it, is deeper under and around it then goes back to ankle deep (or less) right after it. Problem is the logs stretch across the river and and one side is a tangle of logs and branches. The other side is a waist deep pool that I can get to from the rear. Of course they like to to sit under the worst of it. I caught 2 yesterday , one 10"er under the worst side by swinging a black/olive marabou leech with rubber legs ( heavily weighted but still needed a couple of large split shot to keep it down in the current) under the first log. It slammed the leech and another bass ( larger of course) started ramming the into it ( hit it multiple times in the head as if it was trying to steal the fly away). I couldn`t get anything to move after reeling in the 10"er on that side. I picked up a smaller one in the pool on the opposite side on a squirrel tail streamer and again nothing after landing it. My biggest problem is snagging the tangle of branches then fighting the current to keep the fly down. I`ve seen some good sized fish in here rising to mayflies ( and showing no fear about) but casting into this mess is impossible with the current flowing through it. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Brian
Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Smallies under log jam

If you ty your own flies you can make a simple hook guard with 30lb mono. It's kind of a pain to do, but I have also used the rubber wom hooks with the wire weed guards to ty streamers and woolies on. For the mono just cut a 6-10 piece and ty on the back of the hook before you start your fly, ty the fly like you would normaly, but before you finnish the fly ty the momo in under and behind the eye. The idea is ti make it so the mono is the just a hair bigger bend then the hook and lays right beside it.
Good luck
Bear
Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Thanks Bear. I`ve been thinking about trying to use a fly with a mono weedguard but just not sure how much it would help around logs and branches. I have some cheap 30 and 50 lb. mono around to use for weedguards ( I do tie my own flies). The fly that I got under there was tied on a Mustad Chestertown which has a very narrow gap. It lasted the longest before snagging. A heavy clouser gets down fast but with the hook upright, I just snag the underside of a log ( or branches). I might also pick up some hooks with a wire weedguard like you suggested to try. Sooner or later I will probably get a pair of swimming goggles and stick my head under there just to see whats where as far as branches and debris goes.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM View Post
Sooner or later I will probably get a pair of swimming goggles and stick my head under there just to see whats where as far as branches and debris goes.
make sure u grab all the flies you lost while your at it!! lol ya I agree with these guys. if anything a weedguard might help u save a few flies.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Angry Re: Smallies under log jam

Well, my brother and I went out after dinner. He headed above the bridge and I headed downstream right for the log jam. As I get close I hear voices ( no not the usual ones in my head ) but , before I can see them I see the last thing I expected. Someone came along and removed most of of the jam! Three rantings don`t cover what was going through my mind when I saw it. The center of the jam is there but the sections that provided the most cover for the smallies is nowhere to be seen. A father and son where tossing spinners in the pools, but I was too PO`ed to ask them how they were doing, not to mention they where very loud and clumsey. Now that the logs are gone I can see that the silt, sand, and weeds just above this section will be filling into the pools. Without the logs and branches the water around the center section is considerbly slower moving now. HUMANS SUCK!!!!

Oh and not a single hit , not even a sunny and there were plenty of them in there too.