The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Greatest Bream Fly

I like a Rainy Day Wonder, mostly to bank and fished slow with short strips. Another option for this would be rigged under a strike indicator, and fished in coves were the wind blows directly into. It helps if theres a weed bed in the visinity. Hard to cast, somewhat, but the rewards make up for it.The pattern is as follows....

Rainy Day Wonder
Hook: Any standard dry or wetfly, sizes 10-16
Thread: 8/0, color to match body
Eyes: Beadchain, color of prefrence
Tail: Marabou, SHORT. You can use the fluff off the bottom of a strung saddle hackle feather to get it short enough. Color to match the body.
Body: Black, Brown, White, Olive, or WHATEVER color of marabou ya want. Wrap it herl style, tying it in by the butts.
Ribbing: Fine diameter, color to match beadchain eyes.
Head: Thread.

1. Start thread at the 1/3 point of the hook.(From the front{eye} of the hook) Form a base, then tie in the beadchain eyes in on the top of the hook shank.
2. Wrap the thread to the hook bend, then in vert or rotate the hook in the vise, so the hook point is up and the eyes are now on the bottom of the hook.
3. Tie in the marabou tail, then clip the butt ends and secure.
4. Tie in the ribbing, then the marabout for the body, then continue the thread to directly behind the eyes.
5. Wrap the bodie, tie off and then wrap the ribbing, trying not to compress the ''fluff'' of the marabou.
6. Tie off the ribbing, clip any excess materials, wrap a head in front of the eyes, whip finish, and you're done.

Hope this helps,

Steelhead Junkie
Old 07-22-2009, 06:05 AM

rausch51 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rausch51

Black foam spider has always been my favorite, followed by olive wooly buggers.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM

reckless is on a distinguished road

Looks like the Poppers have it. They do fish well down here in Australia but only when the conditions are spot on other wise I use a wooly worm with black and white silly rubber legs. Thanks to all and I have got the dremel tool out and trying to make some poppers of my own.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

ive found that using corks works really well. i bought my corks at the craft store. its super easy because you dont have to carve/sand them down.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

For years I always used foam spiders or the smallest popper I could find. One day someone convinced me to use a hare's ear or similar nymph on a dropper below the popper. I caught 80% of the fish on the nymph, and had some tangle problems with the dropper getting tangled with the popper.

Then I went to just a nymph without the popper, and actually increased the fish-per-hour because I wasnt stopping to untangle things.

The next stage of evolution was to try different nymphs. Eventually I settled on a size 10 Bead Head Olive Woolly Bugger. Nothing I've tried will outfish it day in or day out.

But, the Southern lakes I fish aren't as clear as the lakes in Michigan where I grew up. I've never actually seen any beds here, so I'm just casting to shorelines that I've had good luck previously, or around downed timber. The BHWB doesn't seem to work nearly as well up in clear natural lakes, and when you can see the fish on the beds you just can't beat the fun of whatching big buck gills charging a surface spider or popper.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 AM

reckless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
softhackle McGinty

Click the image to open in full size.
I love the look of this and I have a similar one but once again with rubber legs. Works well when the bumble bee's are around.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM

james is on a distinguished road

the betts poppers! MOST of them are great!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 PM

TCF is on a distinguished road

Cap Spiders and foam spiders are the best bet in this area.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 AM

nav is on a distinguished road

Your breams look good, much more than the european bream which has nothing in cummon.

Though it can be caught on a fly rod :

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/x...ent=Fusion.jpg

Despite the size, it provides poor defense, and if you touch or net that fish you'll need lots of soap to be freed of its awful smell.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 PM
SCflyguy is on a distinguished road

I've been hitting the bream pretty hard all summer and using them to test out new patterns that I'm working on for my less frequent trout trips. Overall, I've had the best results with standard soft hackle style wets. Usually no tail, just a floss body, some tinsel ribbing, maybe a little dubbing or herl for a thorax, and a SH collar. Easy to tie a bunch in lots of different colors and styles fast.

I was nailing them today using one with hackle from the very base of a grizzly dry fly neck, kinda like marabou (think it's called chickbou?). Really soft great movement in the water. The benefit of wet flies, at least in the dog days of summer, is being able to cover the whole water column to find out what depth the fish are holding. Most of the time they're deep and the big guys won't always come up to far to take a fly. The SH's just drift down nice and slow.