The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 AM

reckless is on a distinguished road
Default Greatest Bream Fly

Bream fly fishers are a secretive bunch so lets open up with your favorite bream fly. I have a lot of luck with a fly called an Estuary Killer. It,s a prawn pattern and fishes well when cast at a structure and ripped along the surface with very small jerky strips.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:45 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: Greatest Bream Fly

i will almost always use a mini gurgler or a woolly bugger
Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

softhackle McGinty

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Anything black and white with rubber legs or a dradonfly nymhp. I often use one of those under a small popper, makes a great S.I. and gives the fish a choice of fly to eat.
Bear
Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I'd vote a popper, hands down. They fish great, and are fast, easy and cheap to tie -

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about

I love a popper as well but have been using spiders most of the time.
But just lately I have gone to a hopper imitation an love it as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

So far for me - it is a Copper wire head, brown flash back pheasant tail, size #12. It has worked great for bream of various sizes, and it has caught two 2+ lbs. bass on my 3wt. Superfine rod.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Poppers are fun, but for both numbers and better sized bream, I fish a damselfly nymph that looks roughly like this.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:56 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

BC
TRhat looks great. Put a few black rubber leggs out the sides and it could be my favoite fly. I am currently having great luck with a "Bully Bluegill" in olive.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Poppers are fun, but for both numbers and better sized bream, I fish a damselfly nymph that looks roughly like this.
i would agree with you on the numbers part, but i dont think i agree with the size part. if youre fishing a size 6 to a size 2 popper, youre only going to catch the big aggresive ones. a small bluegill will most likely not get its mouth around a size 2 popper. i was fishing for bass one day and i found the bluegill spot. the smaller ones came and pecked at the popper, but it was 8-10 inch guys that really whacked and put up a good fight.