Got a Trophy Fish Yesterday...

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
My buddy called to see if I wanted to go fish with him yesterday afternoon; and of course I said when? I got there a little early and set up my rod and waded in the river in front of our parking area. I saw some carp working, and decided to try for them. Switched my slider over to a carp teaser I tied the other day. Started fishing the pod, which I discovered is not a good idea; spooked the bunch of them. I stood watching and saw a couple of fish move back in and started working them a little more carefully. Cast up and let the current begin washing the fly down and just started twitching lightly. After about the 5th cast I was into the fish; it amazed me how quick he had me into the backing. Got line back and he made another run; wow! It took me nearly 10 minutes to land him. My buddy had come while I was concentrating on my drifts, and he was able to watch the entire show. He took a pic with his cell phone, and mine; but he closed the phone before saving the pic. He said he will send me the pic from his phone. This is my first, of many I hope; carp on the fly rod.

It was kind of funny, Wednesday when we were fishing we talked about trying to actively fish for carp. I know I will make the effort every chance I get from now on; what a rush...:biggrin:

Dan

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
So excited recounting my day I forgot to mention his size...LOL Don't have a weight, but he measured 25" on my mini tape. I would have to guess 7 or 8 pounds.

Dan

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Dan, way to go. I think most of us have missed out on catching Carp on a fly. I know I have. When I lived in Arizona they was a bunch of Carp in the golf course ponds. I thought about going out after dark and giving it a try. It was against the rules to be on the course after dark so I never did do it. Now you are making me think I should have tried it.

I will be looking for your picture.

Frank

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan: Congrats, that sounds like a great fight with your fly rod. I haven't tried for carp but I sure need to get out and give it a try. Can't wait to see a picture of that monster!

Larry

kruggy1

Reaction score
Sounds like a great fish Dan, I hooked a sucker on a muddler minnow couple weeks back about the same size on a 4wt, what size rods were you using???

FrankB2

Reaction score
That's a big one, Dan! My wife caught a nice carp (about 18") sometime in
April, but by the time I convinced her to hold it for a pic, it jumped out of
her hands :biggrin:.

darkcahill

Reaction score
Dan now all you have to do is hook into some big ol' boys. Those are really fun. Nice job.

Joni

Reaction score
Took me a minute to notice the fish...I was in a trance on those legs....LOL

They are a blast and I am glad you hook one. I like using a rod with a fighting butt.
It does make it easier.

You are soooooooo carpinated. ;-)

troutbum17

Reaction score
I had a similar experience casting for smallmouth in lake michigan, makes me want to intentionally cast for carp more often :D

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
JB, the fly was a pattern called a "Carp Teaser", real simple tye; tail: rubber legs tied fairly long, chenille body, brown, olive, or black. Legs: Same material as tail, tied in right behind the bead chain eyes or if you want light dumbbell eyes. Wrap the chenille forward and figure eight wrap around the eyes.

Joni, :icon_redf LOL glad I entranced you....LOL

That spot in the river is in the city limits of Monroe, my hometown.

Dan

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Dan,

Nice Carp! I lived in Portsmouth VA. for a while on Lake Circle Drive out near Sterling Point. There was a lake in the back yard, about a seven acre size, it was full of big carp. They were fun to catch but those huge eyes seemed so sad that I eventually quit harassing them.

You gotta admit, those eyes seem different, don't they???

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dan,

Nice Carp! I lived in Portsmouth VA. for a while on Lake Circle Drive out near Sterling Point. There was a lake in the back yard, about a seven acre size, it was full of big carp. They were fun to catch but those huge eyes seemed so sad that I eventually quit harassing them.

You gotta admit, those eyes seem different, don't they???
You're a great sentimentalist Ard:D:D

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

JB, the fly was a pattern called a "Carp Teaser", real simple tye; tail: rubber legs tied fairly long, chenille body, brown, olive, or black. Legs: Same material as tail, tied in right behind the bead chain eyes or if you want light dumbbell eyes. Wrap the chenille forward and figure eight wrap around the eyes.

Thanks for the info Dan,if you could post a pic it'd be great;)