The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

View Poll Results: what should happen to the carp
become a game fish 28 27.18%
stay as a nongame fish 49 47.57%
i don't care 26 25.24%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 PM

BAM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what do you think of carp.

What do I think of carp?.........................PIA Spookiest fish I`ve every trid to catch. Just found a lake with a very healthy population. Yesterday they were tailing everywhere, from less than a foot of water out to about 8-10' water, creating plenty of mud blooms. Not one hit but sure scared the H3ll out of plenty of them. This evening, not nearly as many tailing, but some right up against the bank in just a few inches of water. Not a hit. I spotted 3 just slowly cruising and rooting around in less than 1' of water. I cast from behind and up along side the closest into the middle of the 3 of them. They didn`t spook but just went along feeding as nice as you please. WOW , they didn`t spook , pat self on back for making a decent cast, wait got nibble... line set hook... got something.... feels aweful small.... what the ????? Damn sunfish.... and off race 3 large subs for deeper water. This only the second time I`ve been able to fish for carp and they already have me hating them. That is until next time.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

I think carp are some great fish. I just can't catch them for some reason! haha. I have been trying to but they are so easily spooked that I can't even get close to them to be able to cast near them. But one of these days I'm gonna catch em!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Bam and Hook em,

Bread flies.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM

BAM is on a distinguished road

But they weren`t looking up, they were tail up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Bam and Hook em,

Bread flies.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I love fishing for them. They are a true challenge, plus the Grass they live in is a challenge.
The only species I use over 8 lb fluoro on LOL.
I will admit, I do bag them and dispose of them due to the fact they need to be harvested, but I am not about to eat one. But I don't leave them lying around to attract bugs.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:58 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I love fishing for them. They are a true challenge, plus the Grass they live in is a challenge.
The only species I use over 8 lb fluoro on LOL.
I will admit, I do bag them and dispose of them due to the fact they need to be harvested, but I am not about to eat one. But I don't leave them lying around to attract bugs.
YEEaaa rock on!!! take as many as you can!...i hate carp
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Joni, do you have a smoker? They are a blast to catch, I will switch over my top water flies for Smallies at the drop of the hat when I see a pod come near me...I saw one yesterday that was at least 30 inches; I was almost disappointed when the Smallies were picking up my Carp Teaser before the Carp. I picked up two Smallies in the 14 - 15 inch range that were in feeding with the Carp. Flyfisher, try catching one and see if your hate changes...

Dan
Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Joni, do you have a smoker? They are a blast to catch, I will switch over my top water flies for Smallies at the drop of the hat when I see a pod come near me...I saw one yesterday that was at least 30 inches; I was almost disappointed when the Smallies were picking up my Carp Teaser before the Carp. I picked up two Smallies in the 14 - 15 inch range that were in feeding with the Carp. Flyfisher, try catching one and see if your hate changes...

Dan
I just had a piece of smoked Cat Fish after all these years and must say, it wasn't bad, but, got to pass on the Carp.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Joni, give them a try before you pass judgement on them...Carp were originally brought to the USA as a food fish from Europe. They are actually a very clean fish when you think about what there diet consists of; nymphs, scuds, crayfish...Hmmm sound like what trout and bass feed on... LOL I am making an effort to catch them at every opportunity now, and I release them so they can grow bigger and be caught again...

Dan
Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I'm new to fly fishing, but I've been out twice now looking for carp. The first time was in a river, and they just wouldn't take. There was some around, but they didn't like what I had (don't remember the bug). Then Saturday we went looking for them again on the flats at a local lake, but there was none to be found. But it has become my mission to get one on a 6wt rod. At least until trout pick up in Oklahoma.