The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   what do you think of carp. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/10882-what-do-you-think-carp.html)

Troutwhisperer 08-03-2009 12:31 PM

what do you think of carp.

i thought this might be an interesting poll to see what people think about carp.

in most states (i don't know it might be all states) the carp is considered a non-game fish.

do you think that it should stay a nongame fish or should become a game fish now that people are reallizing its sporting value.

Jackster 08-03-2009 12:38 PM

I guess I need to know the difference between a game and a non-game fish before voting.

As for carp... LOVE 'em! Those suckers don't want to be caught or landed if hooked!

yatahey 08-03-2009 01:27 PM

Hmmm.
What do I think of carp.
OK
Carp.
One butt ugly fish that fights like a tarpon.

Offshore 08-03-2009 01:32 PM

A nice bonus fish that exercises the fighting arm!

flyfisher117 08-03-2009 08:42 PM

Dont get me started about carp

i hate carp lets just put it that way

BlueDun 08-03-2009 09:11 PM

Are you asking if they should get special protection or what? As with Jackster, I would need to know what difference it would make to classify carp as "game fish" before voting.

Troutwhisperer 08-03-2009 09:43 PM

yeah i should have said that, i meant like when a fish is a game fish in MT you can't just toss it on a bank and let it die. so im asking if you think they should become a game fish so people can't kill them anymore or stay a nongame fish to control there numbers.

HuronRiverDan 08-04-2009 06:55 AM

Carp are awesome...

To fish for no matter what they are classified, they are truly a tough fish to catch on the fly; and I don't know of a freshwater fish that gives a better fight. As far as throwing them on the bank goes, it doesn't matter if they are a game fish or a non-game fish, that act is performed by an unethical person. If I was fishing with someone who did that it would be the last time we fished together.

Dan

jpbfly 08-04-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan (Post 64741)
To fish for no matter what they are classified, they are truly a tough fish to catch on the fly; and I don't know of a freshwater fish that gives a better fight. As far as throwing them on the bank goes, it doesn't matter if they are a game fish or a non-game fish, that act is performed by an unethical person. If I was fishing with someone who did that it would be the last time we fished together.

Dan

I do agree with you Dan...game fish,non game fish doesn't mean anything to me...dace carp and others are far more difficult to catch than trout...my friends JM and Batistou enjoy fighting these torpedos(see my thread outstanding catch)they always release all the fish they catch no matter their species...if they threw them on the bank...they wouldn't be my best fishing buddies.

BlueDun 08-04-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer (Post 64724)
yeah i should have said that, i meant like when a fish is a game fish in MT you can't just toss it on a bank and let it die. so im asking if you think they should become a game fish so people can't kill them anymore or stay a nongame fish to control there numbers.

Thanks for clarifying! Unfortunately, where I live, there is no penalty for throwing fish on the bank :icon_mad: and I agree with HuronRiverDan, et. al that no fish should tossed away like that. I suspect my response does not get at the gist of your question, but I do think they are worthy of protection and being managed to control their numbers.