The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

View Poll Results: what should happen to the carp
become a game fish 28 27.18%
stay as a nongame fish 49 47.57%
i don't care 26 25.24%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default what do you think of carp.

i thought this might be an interesting poll to see what people think about carp.

in most states (i don't know it might be all states) the carp is considered a non-game fish.

do you think that it should stay a nongame fish or should become a game fish now that people are reallizing its sporting value.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I guess I need to know the difference between a game and a non-game fish before voting.

As for carp... LOVE 'em! Those suckers don't want to be caught or landed if hooked!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Hmmm.
What do I think of carp.
OK
Carp.
One butt ugly fish that fights like a tarpon.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Offshore is on a distinguished road

A nice bonus fish that exercises the fighting arm!

BUG_BOND
Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Dont get me started about carp

i hate carp lets just put it that way
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Are you asking if they should get special protection or what? As with Jackster, I would need to know what difference it would make to classify carp as "game fish" before voting.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

yeah i should have said that, i meant like when a fish is a game fish in MT you can't just toss it on a bank and let it die. so im asking if you think they should become a game fish so people can't kill them anymore or stay a nongame fish to control there numbers.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Carp are awesome...

To fish for no matter what they are classified, they are truly a tough fish to catch on the fly; and I don't know of a freshwater fish that gives a better fight. As far as throwing them on the bank goes, it doesn't matter if they are a game fish or a non-game fish, that act is performed by an unethical person. If I was fishing with someone who did that it would be the last time we fished together.

Dan
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
To fish for no matter what they are classified, they are truly a tough fish to catch on the fly; and I don't know of a freshwater fish that gives a better fight. As far as throwing them on the bank goes, it doesn't matter if they are a game fish or a non-game fish, that act is performed by an unethical person. If I was fishing with someone who did that it would be the last time we fished together.

Dan
I do agree with you Dan...game fish,non game fish doesn't mean anything to me...dace carp and others are far more difficult to catch than trout...my friends JM and Batistou enjoy fighting these torpedos(see my thread outstanding catch)they always release all the fish they catch no matter their species...if they threw them on the bank...they wouldn't be my best fishing buddies.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
yeah i should have said that, i meant like when a fish is a game fish in MT you can't just toss it on a bank and let it die. so im asking if you think they should become a game fish so people can't kill them anymore or stay a nongame fish to control there numbers.
Thanks for clarifying! Unfortunately, where I live, there is no penalty for throwing fish on the bank and I agree with HuronRiverDan, et. al that no fish should tossed away like that. I suspect my response does not get at the gist of your question, but I do think they are worthy of protection and being managed to control their numbers.