The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Using Toothy Critter leader

I've just started using toothy Critter leader to fish for pike but I'm not sure what type of knot to use when tying it to the fly. So far I end up with a bunch of kinks in the leader. Any way to avoid this on the stainless leader?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Using Toothy Critter leader

Hi

You may be using the wrong leaders. The best I have found are the Tyger make.The wire is encapsulated with a nylon coating. You can use a two turn Clinch Knot or a Figure Eight knot. I think both of those will work for you. Here is a link to the Tyger site.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

arkman
What knots are you using? You should be able to use a normal clich and loops like the perfection or the surgeons.
You do need to tighten them tight with pliers though
Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 PM

I was using a clinch knot but I was turning it a lot more then 2 turns. I'll try that next time. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 AM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

The best knot that I have used was shown to me by Lefty. The figure 8 knot is one of the easiest to tie and if you leave a long enough tag you can undo it and retie in the same place.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 PM

pikeflyguy2 is on a distinguished road

Most recommend a figure-8 knot, which works fine. I use a 2-loop uni-knot. I find the key to minimize curls is to not fully cinch the knot before sliding it firm against the eye. The less you move the leader while cinching it tight, the less curl. Another trick is to tie a simple overhand (surgeon's) knot about 2" from the end of the bite tippet, pass the end through the eye, and then tie your figure-8 knot ABOVE that small knot. This will maintain an open loop, allowing the fly to work more freely. The surgeon's knot will not materially weaken the leader. I attach the leader to the tippet by using a 3 or 4-turn uniknot for the nylon tippet around the bite tippet, and a single surgeon's knot for the bite tippet around the nylon. Snug them together first, then tighten each, and finally pull them tight together. Never had one slip or break, and it creates a very small connection
Old 08-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

As a side note I have mostly stopped using wire- I have gone to 30 pound flourocarbon. I still loose a few fish, but knots are easier and I get alot more hits in the clear water I fish. I also dont like the way the fly casts or runs with the wire on the leader.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM

I've noticed the same thing. The last time I went out that exactly what I did. 30# line instead of the steel. I did find a leader that is more like what you would use for regular spin fishing that I figured I would try for a few bucks. So far I think the 30# line is the winner.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use nylon coated steel leader like Berkley or American wire and twist melt it. I have never lost a fish because of the knot. It is easy, cant slip, and if you clip the tag right at the leader it does not snag weeds. Plus the nylon comes in black and red. I think either color is better than bright shiny silver. I albright knot the other end to a bimini twist which I blood knot to the leader. If you make sure there are twists in the bimini, it acts like a shock absorber. It may save you from loosing a real big one that takes a run straight away and whacks the leader with it's tail. Old Saltwater trick.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM

muskyman is on a distinguished road

I use toothy critter all the time and have found that a 2 turn slipless loop knot will produce the best results and the least kinks in the leader. The other good thing is it allows the fly to have more freedom to move giving streamers more action and weighted flys a better lift and drop action as you strip.