The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 01:59 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Just a Couple of Flies

This is what I carry for chasing river largemouths.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is what I almost always end up using.

It’s sort of like lugging your whole golf bag around the miniature golf course, thinking you just might need any one of those clubs. “Let’s see. The windmill hole. 9 iron and chip it? No, I think I’ll use…my putter again.”

I suspect most fly fisherman do the same thing; carry a box full of flies but end up throwing a precious few that they have confidence in. It's said that a good fly catches as many fishermen as it does fish and I guess that’s a big part of why we have a lot of patterns in the box. “Isn’t that pretty? Looks so natural. I’ll take three and I bet they’ll catch fish… if they ever get out of the box!!!

My regular fishing buddies carry even busier boxes than I do and regularly change throughout the day, fine tuning what they're throwing for conditions; water, air, lunar, who knows? I, on the other hand, doggedly toss the same fly until I’ve sufficiently annoyed old bucketmouth to hit it. (Largemouths are like that. It’s part of their charm.). I postulate that sticking with a pattern saves me fishing time, minimizes the number of bad knots I can tie, and doesn’t make my head hurt from thinking about it too much. Most importantly, I don’t seem to catch any less fish than my cohorts do.

I often wonder why a limited selection of flies hangs with the power of the big box. They may not always be the perfect fly for the situation but, if fished with confidence and experience, they often seem to get the job done. It’s seems to me that if the fisherman believes in it, the fish often do to. Now I don’t mean to suggest the whole “power of positive thinking” thing, but rather that the wrong fly fished right seems to out fish the right fly fished wrong. And no one can fish a fly wrong better than me.

As for the Orvis Gully Fish and the Murray's Marauder, my go to flies? They do okay...

Now, if I’d just get smart and lighten the load by not always carrying those clunky boxes of fish candy. Probably not. You never know when you might just need to chip that windmill.

Sep
Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just a Couple of Flies

Sep: Very nice looking bass!

Larry
Old 08-23-2009, 10:28 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sep: Very nice looking bass!

Larry
Oh, don't get me started on bass pictures....

Stop me before I fish again!!!!

Sep
Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

awesome bass! i recognize almost all of those flies from orvis haha i spend too much time (and money) there!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
awesome bass! i recognize almost all of those flies from orvis haha i spend too much time (and money) there!
Yeah, there's a lot of common patterns in those boxes. I think the only flies I actually got through Orvis were the Gully Fish (my very, very favorite bass chaser), the small yellow and black poppers (bream candy), and the black/purple/yellow worm slider (upper left in large box) that's a to handle and has yet to catch a fish for me. It looked good at the time....

The rest came from all over, including those "interesting" leggy things concocted by friends. Fun stuff.

Sep
Old 08-23-2009, 01:06 PM

Sorry... the rant smiley on the front of my last post was inadvertant...
Old 08-23-2009, 04:38 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

i have that same worm fly, but in pink and red. here is a pic of the ONLY fish ive caught on it. and youre right, it really sucks trying cast it lol

Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough

What did you use for the Lip on The Minnow Plug/Fly?

How do you get it to run right?
When I tie a plug fly they turn into spinners...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
What did you use for the Lip on The Minnow Plug/Fly?

How do you get it to run right?
When I tie a plug fly they turn into spinners...
The minnow plug/fly is an Orvis fly, not something I made. The lip is a soft plastic, very much like that from a gallon milk jug. The key, I think, is that it is creased/folded down the middle, not just flat/bent. Gives it incredible action. Wiggles like a hula dancer.

Sep
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice SEP. Cabela has those rubber lips in the fly tying catalog. I thought about trying some. Bad thing is, it is a catalog thing.....the store didn't even know what I was talking about.