The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
SCflyguy is on a distinguished road
Default Can a fly be too good?

I was testing out some soft hackles that I had just tied up in the local bream hole and realized that it was a dynamite pattern. The problem was that 90% of the fish completely swallowed the fly. I don't know if I'm not setting the hook soon enough or if they just like it that much. I've caught bluegill on tons of different patterns and never had this problem with such regularity. The upside though is that I was hauling them in on every other cast.

Although the bream were fun, I caught a bunch of golden shiners that ended up being larger and more spirited than the bluegills. I even had one start to pull drag. It was a fat sucker roughly 10-12" and probably pushing 3/4 of a lb. I was shocked.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong or maybe SH's are just that good.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can a fly be too good?

I try to fish larger flies (size 12 and larger) or those on longer shanked hooks when I expect to mostly get into sunfish. The larger flies can't be swallowed quite as deeply and the longer hooks area usually easier to get out of the fish. Setting the hook quicker helps, but sometimes they're quicker still.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 PM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

BigCliff, hit the nail on the head there! I would definately up size my hooks if they are taking it in too deep. Oh, and soft hackle are that good (some times) !
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Size selective fishing, is the way I think of it. The bigger the fly, the fewer fish can eat it. You reach a point where only the biggest fish around can eat your offering.
I decided many years ago that I would prefer to catch larger fish instead of many.
The sweet spot seems to be sz 6, below that I catch more fish, above that I catch fewer, but larger ones. This is relative to the size of the fishery and fish in it.
Having said this, really pressured fish can be size selective in reverse, thinking smaller is better. We would think this too, if all big bites had a hook in it.
Whether you fish streamers or the killer soft hackles, size matters.

Bigfly
Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been having sort of the same problem, but it has more to do with every
little dink taking my fly:
Click the image to open in full size.

I've switched to an even larger hook (#10), but the little ones will still take
that!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
The sweet spot seems to be sz 6, below that I catch more fish, above that I catch fewer, but larger ones. This is relative to the size of the fishery and fish in it.
I'd basically agree with this, and its why I rarely fish flies smaller than an 8 in warmwater. Hell this one is a size 2 and he had no trouble gobbling it.

Click the image to open in full size.

That said, seeing 40+ sunfish eat a size 12 foam ant beats a root canal too!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I was referring mostly to size selective trout. Smallies here will eat anything up to the size of their head, which you have to love.
Soft hackles never went out of style for me, they may be my favorite way to fish, especially when trout are rolling just under the surface. The old school Lisenring lift is a perfect profile of the emerger phase. It can be done pretty well with a bobber with some practice, and at a greater distance from the angler.

Bigfly
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM
SCflyguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips. I did switch from a 14 to an 8, caught the bigger fish, still swallowed them but it was easier to remove because of a longer shank. I've started tying my SH's on longer hooks. We'll see how they work. Gonna try them out on some trout this weekend.