The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default pike fly rod?

i am hoping to get a pike fly rod set up for next season. i have been looking around, and i just dont know what to get! i currently have a 5 weight orvis clearwater for panfish and bass, but for large bass and pike i think i want a 7 or an 8 weight. any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: pike fly rod?

Send Diver Dan a PM, he seems to have the pike thing down.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rmooney,

It has a lot to do with were you are fishing and how big the Pike are. With wire bite tippets and big flies it takes a strong rod. Throw in a little wind and I wouldn't want anything smaller than an 8wt or even a 9wt fishing the big Lakes. I fished for Pike in Alaska with an 8wt with no problem but I wasn't throwing the super big Pike flies. The Alaska Pike don't get as big as they do in Canada.

Frank
Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You need an 8, 9, or 10 wt. I have a Winston BIIX 10 wt. for Pike. Awsome rod. I use pretty large flies and it tosses them with ease. I like the 10 wt. Winston over the other 3 rods big enough for Pike just because of the way it casts. I Have an 8, a 9, and another 10. By far the one I like the most is the Winston. My 9 is a G. Loomis and it's not to bad either, but it doesn't cast as well. (for me anyway) Contrary to what most will tell you, you don't need the huge rod for landing Pike. If you look in my photos there is a 38 1/2" pike I got on a 5 wt. fishing for Smallies. You need the size for casting the flies. I don't know if it will work with the small size of allowed photos here but try to save that pike photo and zoom in on it. It is covered with tooth holes where a much bigger one tried to eat it. This was at the end of July so it wasn't wounds from fighting over spawning territory. I want to catch the one that looked at her as lunch!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dan,
Sometime in my lifetime, I'll do a pike trip to your region. What kinds of fly lines do you use?

MP
Old 09-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Hey Dan,
Sometime in my lifetime, I'll do a pike trip to your region. What kinds of fly lines do you use?

MP
When you do get to make it here, drop me message and I'll help you out as much as I can. As for the lines, I have used the Cortland 444SL pike/Musky taper, the SA mastery series Pike/Musky taper, and the Mastery Series Tarpon line. I like the SA Pike/Musky the best of the three.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:43 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, Dan.

MP