The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road
Default Spotted Tilapia

Haven't fished in awhile so I thought i'd try a lake by my friends house. I noticed a bedding Tilapia not to far from where I was and tied on a deep clouser minnow. Usually cant really get one to hit any kind of lure or fly unless you really provoke it. Landing the fly on their bed will get them to attack or move the fly, depends if they have fry or not. The one I hooked had fry and aggressively attacked the clouser. Well here it is..........

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spotted Tilapia

Great catch Luis-- I hear that they can be tough to get on a fly rod because they mostly eat plant stuff- but it looks like you figured it out by attacking their nest. From what i've heard, it looks like he/she is pretty big compared to the typical size they usually run-- I think the Florida record is 3 lbs or so, with typical sizes running 8". And it looks like a pretty powerful fish and scrappy fighter.

(Tilapia are a non-native, invasive species in Florida, so that makes them fair game in terms of fishing to nesting/spawning fish as far as I'm concerned.)

Keep these reports coming, you're doing great- and it's amazing all the different stuff you're catching down there.

mark
Old 09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsyogi View Post
Haven't fished in awhile so I thought i'd try a lake by my friends house. I noticed a bedding Tilapia not to far from where I was and tied on a deep clouser minnow. Usually cant really get one to hit any kind of lure or fly unless you really provoke it. Landing the fly on their bed will get them to attack or move the fly, depends if they have fry or not. The one I hooked had fry and aggressively attacked the clouser. Well here it is..........

Click the image to open in full size.
That is a great looking fish! Congrats!

Larry
Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Great fish, keep 'em comeing. Is that a Cherrywood Fly rod? I use to have one, not bad little rods
Bear
Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

Arfishinbear- Yes it's a cherrywood and it's pretty good. It feels better throwing lighter flies than say a clouser or bass popper.

Peregrines- It really takes some patience to hook into one. They start by making false charges until they really bug out and attack the "tail" of the fly. I finally made my first clouser yesterday and will make a short deep clouser just for tilapia. Short so they hit the hook point and weighted to make sure they pick up the fly. Im guessing it was around 11-13 inches but not sure how heavy she was.

Thanks guys I will be posting new photos soon.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Armando will become famous soon enough

I started fishing for Tilapia when i was 6 years in artificial lakes here in Colombia. Always on crickets, now a days Ive used black buggers with short tails and cast them on sight right in front of them and strip them back fast. They do charge sometimes the moment it falls, some other times they follow it and swallow it but it has to be stripped fast, slow large stripping wont do the work.
Oh sometimes I hook them by the chicks, I guess that happens when they try to hit with their head as they do when another fish enters the territory.

Not a fish I'm after, I prefer the endemic cichlids that like peacocks are carnivores and reach 6 to 8 pounds and love clousers.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

They sell fillets from one kind of Tilapia up here, are they good eating? Seems to me a non-native undesirable fish that tastes good is fair game. Thanks for the posts and the pictures, they are pretty fish......Kerry
Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
They sell fillets from one kind of Tilapia up here, are they good eating? Seems to me a non-native undesirable fish that tastes good is fair game. Thanks for the posts and the pictures, they are pretty fish......Kerry
They're very good eating, easy to cook and cheap. I try to get somewhat smaller fillets that are less than 1" thick so you don't overcook the thin edges before the center is done. Squeeze 1/2-1 lemon per fillet, add salt and pepper, saute with olive oil in a pan, and that's basically it.

I've only caught one here, upstream from the Riverwalk. There's quite a few in one of the local power plant lakes, but the only one's I hear of being caught are huge, 4lbs and up.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.