The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 11:57 PM

Trout Madness is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carp!

Just returned home from the Fort Worth Flyfishers monthly meeting where our October Speaker was none other than Brad Befus. Brad co-authored Carp on the Fly with Barry Reynolds and John Berryman. The slide show and lecture lasted an hour plus; and at that it was too short. Brad knows Carp and shared the excitement of flyfishing for a truly tactical fish. I am looking forward to giving it a try.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

I am very happy to see that carp are starting to catch the intrest of fly flinger's!I grew up casting to massive carp in B.C,and more than once I have been told to stop catching them on a fly rod from apperant fishing god's that seemed some how offended by my enjoyment.I have had great luck with prince nymph's when they are feeding in shallow water and big streamers when they are holding deeper.These fish deserve alot more respect than they recieve.Just be carfull when relesing them,many fishing guru's will frown upon you for not smashing their heads in with the nearest rock,and leaving them to rott on the bank.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Trout Madness, the Colleyville Nature Center that I mentioned has large carp in some of the ponds. Last one I caught was there in fact, There was a bright orange one raoming around that I was casting to, and its more camoflauged larger partner picked it up. Took a while to land on my 7' 3/4wt with 5x on there too.

For Carp fishing in our part of the world, tan, olive, and brown flies that sink to the bottom work quite well. A fly you may have heard of, the Briminator in a size 8 works very well. Adding rubber legs to that fly can make it work even better. FshFanatic posted a recipe for it earlier this year Wisdom is where you find it…

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:06 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't had any time at all to fish in the last month, but carp are something I want to take a shot at.

You know, one of the ironic things is that carp, a fish that gets little respect in North America, is fast becoming something of a prized species among fly anglers, who have that reputation of being purists, elitists, snobs, etc. Fly fishermen would seem to be the most unlikely group of anglers to rescue a species from the "trash fish" category. Yet, that's exactly what's happening.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:05 AM

arthur is on a distinguished road

I've fished for them in the czech Rep. when we visit my in-laws, but on a variety of bait rigs. Very fun to catch. They make considerable runs and it can take a while to get them in.

The reservoirs I fish here in NY are filled with them, including some huge ones, easily over 20lbs. I can remember casting to some last year thinking the were cover, "Hey, that's a big rock--a bass could be back there" LOL.

This spring I'll go after them with the 9wt and a good amount of backing. I'll let you guys know what happens.

BTW, the Carp of the Fly book is a great read. I'll re-read that a few time over the winter.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:31 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

Well, it will be carp time again pretty soon, my buddies have started asking about them. As flyfisher mentioned ,it is funny how they have become a desireable fish with snobby flyfisherman. I have a pic of a 25 lber I caught a couple of years ago in the fly shop in town and the owner says it gets more comments and questions than all the other pics combined.

I love catching them and I will always make a few casts at one when we run across them while trout fishing. I have caught them on clousers, buggers, hares ear and pheasant tail nymphs and even a gummy minnow. When I am chasing just carp in the spring, 90% of the time I throw a plain black unweighted woolly bugger on a 8 weight with floating line. The water is usually less than 3 feet, so I want to be able to retreive the fly very slowly and not foul it on the bottom. They are a great fish and most folks best opportunity to get some big fish experience.

If anybody has any pics of their buglemouth bass I would like to see them. There are so many variations of the common carp. They range from beautiful to well, gross looking. But they all pull very hard.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:16 AM

PSharman will become famous soon enoughPSharman will become famous soon enough
Default American Carp Society

Yes folks, we really do exist! Really great to read how many of you out there are enjoying targetting and catching carp on the fly. I have been writing a column called 'carp on the fly' for the past few months for their e-zine which is free to all (American Carper link) If you'd like to learn more, please drop by the website of the ACS at www.americancarpsociety.com where we have lots of pictures and all things carpy to discuss.Look forward to seeing more discussions here and pictures!Tight lines,Paul
Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

A week ago Sunday I went out to Folsom Lake here in the Sacramento Area looking to take advantage of the first real warm days hoping to get in to some bass action. Sweetwater Creek cove is in the shallows this time of year and has lots of submerged vegetation and is one of the first areas to warm up. The carp were literally packed in the cove spawning. I really was trying to avoid them so I walked further out toward the rock outcroppings and started throwing a grey clouser with my 7wt.

I must have drug my fly right over a bed because I hooked in to what I new was either the biggest largemout I've ever hooked or a big carp. After nearly 10 minutes, 4 solid runs, and him going absolutely ape sh** when he saw the shore, I landed a 27" male carp. I've never really targeted the species but that was the strongest fish I've ever fought from shore and the largest fish landed on the fly. I didn't have a scale but I'm guessing it was in the 9 lb range. I have a new found respect for carp.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I use the oldies but goodies. Haresear (with and without legs) Bead Head Prince and Pheasant tail on an intermediate line.....WAHOO!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM

waterman is on a distinguished road

I just started reading Carp on the Fly: A Flyfishing Guide by Barry Reynolds, Brad Befus, and John Berryman.

They list a lot of patterns some of which they modified form others. I'm not that far into the book as I just got it two days ago but so far worth the 11 bucks I paid for it.

Amazon.com: Carp on the Fly: A Flyfishing Guide: Books: Barry Reynolds,Brad Befus,John Berryman

Fish On!