The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 11:02 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Carp!

I have tried lately to catch a carp, no luck. I haven't even SEEN one. I have been to a couple of places I know that have them. I threw corn out to hopefully attract them to my area. All I did was feed the catfish I think...LOL. I have been dying to try a fly I made that is white, and could be a piece of bread...like a bread fly...but it is almost buggy looking. An ugly fly really...but if it works....that is all I care about. I am determined to catch a carp, and a buffalo just to see what they are like. They may be too much for me to pull in...I dunno but want to find out!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:20 PM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

Glad to see everyone getting excited about this type of fishing. A lot of fun isn't it. Take a close look at these pictures. The first is a Common Carp and the second is a Bigmouth Buffalo. A little difference in physical charachteristics but not in size. Both were caught on DDH Leeches.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:22 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Very nice fish there. I am jealous of course. I took the past week trying to catch a carp. Never saw one. Now I know where one was seen on the lake I normally go to....I will try again. Congrats on the great fish.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Account on hold

kais 4795 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcahill View Post
Glad to see everyone getting excited about this type of fishing. A lot of fun isn't it. Take a close look at these pictures. The first is a Common Carp and the second is a Bigmouth Buffalo. A little difference in physical charachteristics but not in size. Both were caught on DDH Leeches.

That buffalo is an interesting looking fish. What part of the country are you fishing in? I would like to tap into a buffalo.
Kais
Hobbies Hunting Fishing Hiking Shed Antlers
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 AM

basher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lryansl View Post
If you do purchase the carp fly kit from bass pro let me know if you catch any using them. I purchased a kit from cabelas and have yet to catch a carp on any of the flies in the kit. The first carp I caught was on a Nymph, and all the ones after that were on a crawdad pattern.(Similar to a Skipsdad but using some different materials)
i got the same kit from cabelas and haven't got anything on it either.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the carp I caught at Utah Lake were on a bead Head Prince, and a Haresear.
But on the Jordan last week, I used Rainy's Carp Collection, or at least two of them, and they were great! The lady researches and finds the right patterns!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Live in Manitoba which is just norh of North Dakota. We do have quite a few waters with Bigmouth Buffalo in them. The two best are the Red River and the Assinboine River. They are even more of a challenge to catch than Carp.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:58 PM

Happened to get out for a few hours fishing this a.m. and boy were the Carp moving. Saw at least 50 fish that would go well ove 30 pounds but couldn't hook up with one. Only managed this tiny beast, lost all the others I hooked into.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I got over to the inner city river today for 45 minutes. I did learn quickly that 6 lb wasn't going to cut it, so switched to Mirage 3X and LANDED these bad boys.

I did discriminate however, I hooked these two guys among the BIG UGLIES