The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 03:02 PM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road
Default Finally!!!!

Got out to do some fishing. With the way work has been for the last while this is a real treat. Headed out to the Red for some Cats and had a blast. Hooked into 5 fish but only managed to land one which was half decent. It was just nice to get out.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finally!!!!

Hey what a great fish! Do you use nymphs or streamers for them? I remember reading a story many years back, about cats taking fies on the surface during a hatch and the fellow writing it, spoke of using dries for them sometimes as well. I have never had the opportunity to fish for them. Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work on the catfish!

Larry
Old 09-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice catch.How did you fish this one?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:29 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice Cat!...I would imagine he put up a great fight...Nymphs, streamers...? Tell us more.

Dan
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 AM

I usually use streamers. The Cats can be taken on WB in black and in olive, just about any color of Clouser will work but my go to fly to catch a lot of Cats and big ones is a brown DDH Leech. This fly has out produced every other fly I have used. I did do an article for American Angler called the Un-Trout and in it I did mention that you could use dries when a hatch is going on. A lot of anglers think that Cats are bottom feeders but they aren't. I have taken them during hatches with dries, pre hatch with nymphs and with the streamers. I can tell you when the Cats are feeding aggressively in June you can land 5-15 fish this size in an evening. Just wat to much fun and you develope jelly arms after a night like that. Looking back through my records my best day on the river was 19 Cats, 13 Carp, and 33 Freshwater Drum. I had line burns galore that day.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's cooler than the other side of the pillow there Dark Cahill. I've got to try getting to the Red one of these days. It's only a couple of hours from here. What it the best time for cats there?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM

Depending on the weather it is usually the last two weeks of June. The water levels drop a bit and the fishing is fantastic. You got to give it a try. Let me know when you are coming up and I might sneak out with you if possible.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcahill View Post
Depending on the weather it is usually the last two weeks of June. The water levels drop a bit and the fishing is fantastic. You got to give it a try. Let me know when you are coming up and I might sneak out with you if possible.
That would be great, I will let you know. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:08 PM

Got out again this a.m. and had a blast. Hooked 10 Cats and landed 6 of them. What a riot.

Click the image to open in full size.