The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 PM

shallowfly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shallowfly
Default Crappie / Speckled Perch fly recommendations

I live in Florida and speck/crappie season is starting in the freshwater and I have not fished for them in the past.

I thought it would be a good thread if we all listed how we fish for them and the flies we use for your specific area.

I will start, although have not tried yet but here is what I am thinking will work:

3 wt 8.5 ft rod with floating weight forward line
8 foot leader with a 4 lb tippet
Small EP minnows in white and black
or
#2 Clouser in white and chartreuse with bead chain eyes
Fishing in:
Pits - tannic water from the oak tree's (Pits as they call them are areas that were mined in the 1920's and reclaimed for fishing over the years)
and lakes.

Lakes
Rivers
Pits
Water type
???

Look forward to the responses.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crappie / Speckled Perch fly recommendations

Black Crappie are called Calico Bass here and there a few mill ponds and small reservoirs in my area that hold some of impressive size
In the summer they spread out and are hard to come by, but in the spring and fall they school up and can be easy pickings.
In early spring, you can find them in shallow, south facing coves with plent of cover
This time of year they're suspended over holes, often only over the deepest area in the small ponds that I fish
I use pan fish poppers and soft hackles in size 10 & 12
Old 10-16-2009, 11:10 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

In the early spring around here, before they move in shore to spawn, they suspend out in 12 to 15 feet of water. I use a beadhead leech pattern under a corky. I use a floating line and a 4 lb test tippet.

When they are in shallow water, on the beds, I use the same fly w/o the corky.

After the spawn we usually find them in 18 to 20 feet of water on drop-offs or at the edge of weedbeds. Then I use a sinking line with a 6 or even 8 lb test leader and tippet. The fly of choice is still a beadhead leech or beadhead woolybugger. I let it sink near the bottom and strip it in. The reason I increase the size of the leader and tippet is because around here we can also hook into a good size bass or northern pike and have to keep them out of the weeds.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Idaho, concerning the woolybooger.

I just tied some on #6 hook with grizzly brown marabou, same type brown chenille, and black hackle for the wrap. I wrapped with wire and also put a cone head on to get it deeper.

I also tied some of the standard olive and black same way. Was thinking a white wooly booger may be good for these guys too.

What have you found is the best color combo and hook size to tie them on? I dont use these often so I am still experimenting with colors as well as technique.

Thanks for the response I thought this would be a good topic this time of year for a lengthy thread surprised you are only the second.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

Shallowfly,

I have used similar patterns, brown w/ black,all black, all brown, green w/black hackle. I use a bead head and wrap the body w/ tinsel on some of them. I tie them on hook sizes 6, 8, and 10. I also tie them in the same sizes with a red marabou tail and regular grizzly hackle, both with and w/o a beadhead. I would try whatever color combination comes to mind. I have even used a pink leech pattern and caught crappie until we were tired!!

I use a beadhead, mohair leech pattern in olive, brown or black. in the same sizes as the wooly bugger. I bet they would work for you there too. The pink leech was tied for spawning Lahaunton (sp?)Trout, but at times, it does catch crappie.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

You didn't say what part of the State you are in but spec fishing is probably much the same throughout Florida. Specs tend to be open water fish and they feed up, that is; their prey is above them and they attack from below. They eat a variety of food but minnows is their main fare.
Once the weather turns cool, as is it now doing, the specs can be seen jumping up (rising) at dawn- on a good lake they'll be all over the place. December and January are likely the best months.
You can cast from shore in many instances. The biggest spec I ever saw was caught that way. It was another guy and I can't remember what fly he was using. If you have a boat you can troll a streamer. Streamers that imitate minnows are best, I have one that is years old and really beat up- so bad I can't tell what the original dressing was but it has a grizzly wing (Grizzly King?) and a white body with silver tinsel and a red tag- like on a Black Nosed Dace. Actually a Black Nosed Dace would probably work pretty well.
If you troll a floating line is okay since the specs feed up- it's okay for the fly to be just under the surface. Even when fly tackle is used I'm not sure if trolling counts as "fly Fishing" but you can play the fish off the reel and at least keep in practice for other species. As stated, the specs will also be around shores and pads and you can cast to those areas as well. On the leader- specs aren't brown trout, you can go ahead and use 4x, 3x, etc. Your biggest concern on a break off is the hook ripping out of the soft mouth. I've never had a leader break on a spec.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:29 PM

Well I have been wanting to tie the Black Nosed Dace so now I have good reason. I tried my first one last night but didnt come as clean as it should for the seperation of the different colored bucktail.

I will try my second tonight and see if I can improve. I have not posted pictures yet so maybe I can break the ice with the new tie. Hopefully can put to the test this weekend although we have a front coming through and winds will be around 15.

I am in central Florida, and more of a saltwater fly person thats why all the questions, but live by so many lakes that I am trying to learn the ins ands outs of the freshwater fly side.

Thanks for all the info
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Well Salt is what I want to do but I have to get a reel- then it's over to Mosquito Lagoon. This year I'm going to try the Shad run on the St. John's River- last year it was supposed to have been pretty good.
I ought to add also that specs do relate to structure, it's just I've found that trolling is a pretty fast way to get them.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 AM

I fish both the Lagoon and did the Shad run for the first time last year. I will send you a PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 PM

drc566 is on a distinguished road

Hi
Try fishing blood worm flies in tandem, just cast them out on a seven foot leader and use a no retrive retreive, they will drift on the wind, or on the water movment, hang on the takes can be savage.