The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Educate me on float tubes please

I have done some warm water fishing in ponds and lakes but have been limited as far as where I can fish because I don't have any type of "watercraft." I have been looking on Ebay and it may be possible to get a float tube for around $100. I would then need a pump and a pair of flippers.

My main question is: do you just wear your regular waders that you would use in a trout stream on the tube. The pictures that I have seen look like just regular waders. Is this true?

Any other information that I may need before buying one would be great as well. I'm not planning on purchasing one right away just kind of curious about them.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Educate me on float tubes please

Any breathable chest waders will do. I use LL Bean flyweights for tubing as they are economical ($60) and fairly durable. I have more expensive waders for rock-crawling along streams.

Keep this in mind for fins. If you fish on water that gets windy or want to kick a mile or so to a good spot, forget the cheap $30 fins. Go directly to Forcefins, or Omega flipfins, etc. They are pricey ($160-$200), but you will get much more thrust for less effort. This also goes to safety, as cheap fins will leave you to the mercy of the wind no matter how hard you kick. At the least it can be inconvenient, at worst, very dangerous.

Final note: when considering tubes, get either a V- or a U-tube. These are more efficient than other styles (round, pontoon-style) and track much better. Not sure what a V-tube is? Go to Fishcat.com, everything they have is V-tube. Also foam or inflatable seats are better.

Happy hunting.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler185 View Post
I have been looking on Ebay and it may be possible to get a float tube for around $100. I would then need a pump and a pair of flippers.
Keep in mind that with the size and weight of the box, you could be paying another $40+ for shipping.

You might be better off checking Craigslist and local fishing boards instead.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:32 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Good point Cliff. I will have to make sure to check on that.

I have been reading through some older threads on here and came across one where a man drowned when his tube flipped over. I feel like that is a freak accident. Aren't float tubes pretty stable?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler185 View Post
I have been reading through some older threads on here and came across one where a man drowned when his tube flipped over. I feel like that is a freak accident. Aren't float tubes pretty stable?
I have only been tubing for two years, so maybe I'm not an expert, but I have put approximately 100-150 days in my tube. I am average ht/wt (5'8", 180lbs) and have fished in some very windy conditions with up to 1.5 ft waves (don't recommend that; it was an accident). My answer to your question is YES, they are very stable. Is it possible to flip one? Yes, it's just a matter of physics. However, I've leaned way over in my tube (wasn't trying to flip it, just got in an awkward position) and it wouldn't flip.

I think as long as you use a little common sense and have at least enough of a sense of balance to ride a bike, you won't have to worry about it. in fact, I believe that most flipping accidents in tubes occur during ingress/egress, when people might slip and fall hard onto the tube or try to jump into it.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Since you read the article about the drowning incident, you've seen my comments about flipping and the difference between sit on and sit in tubes. That's something to consider. Entry to and from a U tube is so much easier than from a round tube, it's worth the upgrade.
I had to upgrade to a u tube when my old Caddis round tube wouldn't float me anymore. I was shipping water in the back of my waders! I'm pretty sure the cover shrunk so it didn't hold enough air anymore.
On my maiden voyage in the new tube, I discovered that the spiffy 3 cushion back wasn't such a great thing. The top headrest cushion constantly knocked my hat off. And the rest of that high backrest became a great sail! The wind blew straight down the creek that day and I thought I'd never get back to the lauch point!
Breathable waders are the way to go. Neoprenes float and you have to fight that buoyancy all day to keep your legs under the water.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to spend 180 bux on fins, try Montana Kickers. Accepts all types of footwear; single, simple buckle; floats; light and durable. Fast? No, but they'll only set you back about $30. milt. www.mertechengineering.com

Last edited by milt spawn; 03-15-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: url
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One of my tubes originally came from a big box sporting goods store.
Sports Authority, Dick's.... one of those

I didn't buy it there myself, but I looked up the brand. Retail was around $70 as I remember

Edit
I looked it up, the Teton U tube is $85 from either one of those places mentioned

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-16-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Another question I have is how much work/ time does it take to blow up a tube with a mechanical pump? Im sure most of you will recommend a powered pump but a mechanical pump will save me a few bucks even if its more work.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I literally blow my U shaped Teton bladder tube up.
My Caddis donut has a truck tire tube and get compressed air at the gas station.