The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 05:07 PM

dennis is on a distinguished road
Default Bluegill

I finally started the fly rod again, had a broken elbow. I just got back from a Ky Lake trip. At the end of the day we would anchor by the resort and fish for Gills. With a jig and bobber tipped with a meal-worm, we would get some decent sized Gills. When I used the fly rod with a foam spider all I could catch were little gills. can any tell me why? Thanks for any info.

Dennis
Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 PM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bluegill

If the big ones aren't hitting on top put on something like a rubber legged dragon or similar fly and go down to where the big ones hang out, here is a link to some good flies. http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp

Another is the Bluegill Bully, http://www.warmfly.com/index.php?opt...26&topic=275.0 I like them unweighted and just let them sink slow, when they disappear in a white spot you have a fish on.

Lots of fun on a fly rod, plus you will pick up some nice bass on occasion.
GJ
Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Match the "hatch"; tye up some wax worm imitations and fish them down where you're getting them with the bobber rig.

Dan
Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

This time of year in PA, I've been getting bigger bluegills by using anything
underwater: wooly buggers, Zug Bugs, Green Weenies, and even green copper
johns.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 PM

dennis is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, We were fishing in 3 to 5 ft. of water, would you still use these underwater flies? Any ways this gives me somthing to work on till our next trip.
Thanks,
dennis
Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

About the only time I catch bigger bluegills on topwater is durring the spwan and if they are eating bugs like damelsflies and may flies. Most of the time weighted flies that sink are the way to go. A black woolyworm with white rubber legs, a dragon fly nymph, or small woolybuggers are usally good.
A fly with three turns of lead wire on the back end of the hook, black cheniel body and two wite rubber legs tied over the top of eye like antina is a very good and easy fly.
Good luck
Bear
Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Thanks for the info, We were fishing in 3 to 5 ft. of water, would you still use these underwater flies?
Yes, older (larger) sunfish are considerably smarter, and less likely to smack stuff on the surface most of the time. Lightly weighted flies will generally produce bigger sunfish. Bead-head buggers and damselfly nymphs are my best bets for sunfish.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:57 PM

bellyflop is on a distinguished road

You might also consider picking up a copy of "Bluegill Fly Fishing & Flies" by Terry & Roxanne Wilson. A very good book IMHO. They cover it all when it comes to big gills year around. Good luck with those gills!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:04 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Nice flies, Big Cliff. You tie the same way that I do. KISS theory!
FrankB2,
I also live in PA and I have been catchin' lots of huge bluegills with my flyrod.
Almost every cast and they are sometimes over a pound!!
Actually, I like to fly fish for gills much better than fishing for trout! I can count on catching near 100 gills in a afternoon. They grab a fly much better than trout do, they fight better, and they are more colorful..... IMO.
I just purchased a Orvis Superfine one weight. I'm having the time of my life with the abundant sunfish.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice looking flies Cliff, I know they would work very well for gills. Flies for gills need a material that gives that spark of life to them, marabou is always in a fly that I tye for gills.

Dan