The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about
Default Carp on a Small Popper

Just sharing some carping pics. I have been consistently taking grass carp on my small yellow popper, and an all white #12 dry fly that looks like a cottonwood or cattail seed floating down to the water. I just leave them sit and let the wind take them. Made the mistake of laying my rod down once and had to swim for it!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:06 PM

kevino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carp on a Small Popper

Nice!!!

What weight rod were you using? Are you specifically after the carp, or are you after bluegill when the carp hit?

I know the day is coming when a big azz carp takes my bluegill fly. Hope I can keep my wits about me and land it.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 AM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Nice!!!

What weight rod were you using? Are you specifically after the carp, or are you after bluegill when the carp hit?

I know the day is coming when a big azz carp takes my bluegill fly. Hope I can keep my wits about me and land it.
I was actually going after the carp. I had watched them swimming around on the surface taking airborn seeds, grass clippings and an occassional insect, so I thought it would be fun to try. I used a tactic similar to the kids in the Amazon fishing for giant Pacu (another vegetarian). They tied a nut to a string and would slap it on the water to get the Pacu to come to the surface so they could spear them.

Applied to the carp: When I saw carp rising, but too far to cast I would smack the water with the popper a few times until I saw the carp turn. Then I would cast and leave the popper sit motionless in what I thought would be their approach. It worked!

I fish with the yellow popper and sometimes a big white dry fly to match the cottonwood and cattail "hatch" on windy days. It's been fun.

I was using my Scott 7wt bass rod designed by Harry Murray. It has been a great Erie stealhead rod, too.

Last edited by piscatorial_phd; 03-18-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: forgot to answer a question
Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are the only other person I have heard of who has been catching them on a popper. I lived on a lake in Portsmouth VA. for a couple years and caught carp on small poppers regularly.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You are the only other person I have heard of who has been catching them on a popper. I lived on a lake in Portsmouth VA. for a couple years and caught carp on small poppers regularly.

Ard
It might depend on the body of water. Where I fish they (grass carP) they are on the surface sipping airborn seeds, grass, and leaves that blow into the water like a large trout in a back eddy. Have you noticed any particular color that they take? At my pond it is yellow.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I catch them during May-June on my "mulberry fly". Basically the Mulberrys drop into the lake during May/June, Carp come up and take them pretty regularly. It's purple and pink deer hair, spun and and trimmed into a berry shape. Cast it under a Mulberry tree with and nice plop and wait. This guy has one of mine hanging out of his mouth.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 AM

kevino is on a distinguished road

Out of curiosity, what size/brand of line do you use on the Murray bass rod? I "inherited" an 8 wt Murray bass rod in the fall but haven't cast it yet.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Out of curiosity, what size/brand of line do you use on the Murray bass rod? I "inherited" an 8 wt Murray bass rod in the fall but haven't cast it yet.
You are a lucky man! I cast a 7 wt. for everything from big browns, redfish and bass. People can say what they want, but there are no rods that come close to being able to cast a big bass bug as well and still protect delicate tippets. It is by far the most versatile and used rod in my arsenal.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I catch them during May-June on my "mulberry fly". Basically the Mulberrys drop into the lake during May/June, Carp come up and take them pretty regularly. It's purple and pink deer hair, spun and and trimmed into a berry shape. Cast it under a Mulberry tree with and nice plop and wait. This guy has one of mine hanging out of his mouth.
Fishing the mulberry hatch! A local flyshop owner, Brian Fleishig and Flip Pallot of Walker's Cay Chronicles, did a carp fishing episode on ESPN a few years back. I believe they were using a mulberry fly. They were fishing on one of the gravel pits I used to frequent as a kid. Fun, fun, fun stuff.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Although I've never even had one look at a popper that's no surprise to me as I've never fished a popper specifically for Common Carp and also I've never seen them feeding near bluegills, etc where I'd be fishing a popper. On the Common Carp side of things I've caught dozens since they are one of my favorite freshwater targets. Other than that I've also fished for Grass Carp in a couple places in Florida and Az, where both panfish and the Grassies were in close proximity and never had them even inspect my poppers but found them to quickly shy away from anything going splat, etc-- a very spooky fish indeed. I have caught a couple, notably one was on a Madam X and the other a Turk's Tarantula both similar to poppers but softer and much quieter and with them, I led the fish, used a very soft presentation, and when they were close moved the fly just a tad. I too have scored many Carp on Mulberry Flies (common carp) but have yet to make it down Miami way to fish the Ficus Berry Hatch of The Land Captain fame. What kind of area/pond or lake are you fishing and does it have a lot of foot traffic on the shoreline? I wonder as I'm trying to figure out what may be causing them to not be as shy/lose caution? I know another who catches them on a grass clippings fly but also says they are a super cautious fish and stealth is the word as far as approaching and casting to them. He fishes a golf course, waits till the mower crew has passed and sneaks in to fish the blown in grass clippings hatch.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Although I've never even had one look at a popper that's no surprise to me as I've never fished a popper specifically for Common Carp and also I've never seen them feeding near bluegills, etc where I'd be fishing a popper. On the Common Carp side of things I've caught dozens since they are one of my favorite freshwater targets. Other than that I've also fished for Grass Carp in a couple places in Florida and Az, where both panfish and the Grassies were in close proximity and never had them even inspect my poppers but found them to quickly shy away from anything going splat, etc-- a very spooky fish indeed. I have caught a couple, notably one was on a Madam X and the other a Turk's Tarantula both similar to poppers but softer and much quieter and with them, I led the fish, used a very soft presentation, and when they were close moved the fly just a tad. I too have scored many Carp on Mulberry Flies (common carp) but have yet to make it down Miami way to fish the Ficus Berry Hatch of The Land Captain fame. What kind of area/pond or lake are you fishing and does it have a lot of foot traffic on the shoreline? I wonder as I'm trying to figure out what may be causing them to not be as shy/lose caution? I know another who catches them on a grass clippings fly but also says they are a super cautious fish and stealth is the word as far as approaching and casting to them. He fishes a golf course, waits till the mower crew has passed and sneaks in to fish the blown in grass clippings hatch.
I caught these in an 8 acre public pond that sees a modest amount of foot traffic. The grassies are the largest member of the minnow family and they retain their minnow-esque fear of everything. You can't line them, move quickly, raise your rod tip, or even have the sun at your back at this pond or their gone. I often cast over the tops of the cattails you see in the photo to conceal my profile. The only reason to smack (probably more like a plop) the water is to mimic a nut, berry or similar vegetation hitting the water. Now, you can't do this when they can see you, and the plop has to make sense. That is, smacking the water when there are no mulberries will not bring them. There have been a few times when I have seen the grass carp taking hoppers blown into the water, particularly late summer early fall when much of the aquatic vegetation is gone. Its a blast, something different to be sure.