The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road
Default 9 ft VS 9'9" seven wt rod

I'm thinking of buying a new 7 wt bass rod. Loomis has a 9 ft GL3 rod on a closeout here for $180.00. I can order a 9'9" GL3 for $300.00. There's, obviously, quite a difference in price, but if the longer rod would be better, I would spring for the extra bucks. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on how these two rods would compare? Distance? Accuracy? Other???

Bob
Old 10-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: 9 ft VS 9'9" seven wt rod

I can't quite put a finger on it, but I love the way the longer rod casts, fishes and feels.
Being a longer lever it will indeed help lengthen your cast. Mending and such is also made a touch easier.
When I sold my Scott 9', 6" 7 weight bass/big fly/big fish rod I didn't think twice about getting the same weight and length rod again.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Longer rod hands down. Better line control and roll casting will be greatly improved. An 11' would be better yet.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2009, 05:49 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

How are you going to use the rod. Are you going to be floating, wading, in a boat or on the shore. If you are going to be floating the longer rod would be a benefit. Wading may or may not be beneficial to have a longer rod. Other than that I would say save the money.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

Hardhat,

I would be in either my canoe or my little 14' boat.

I have my canoe set up with a rowing device and pontoons that I can extend out so it's a stable platform for fishing. It allows me to stand up and fish for awhile to stretch the legs.

Bob
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Hey that sounds like a great rig! Personnally I would go with the 9' rod. You will be able drift and maneuver yourself so as you will not need a longer rod. Plus you will be sitting or standing above the water so the extra length again is not needed. The Sage bass fly rods are under 8'. Save the money difference