The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pike and bass fly line question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB3 View Post
I'd probably go with the pike/musky line then, wet bunny strips are awfully heavy and wind resistant, like casting a wet mop.
What he said. Except I always thought it was more a wet sock than a mop.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

I use the Pike Taper in temps from 30 -100 and have never noticed a problem in casting. I use the same reel and line for stealhead in the spring to pike in the summer. I also used it in Florida this year in July for snook. I purchase a new line each year primarily from the abuse it takes on the rocks and rivers I fish. This line is used for ten inch streamers for pike and size 6 leeches for salmon in the fall. It is the ONLY line I use as a floating line.
My history would say in the midwest you should opt for the pike, as their will be cases where the bass will not have the grunt to throw big stuff.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 PM

cidme is on a distinguished road

what brand of line is prefered SA, Rio or something else? Also I am using an 8wt rod but I overline it with a 9wt SL at the moment to get it to load better (I am new to the sport so feeling it load helps). Is this a bad practice to get into? Should I overline when I get a Pike line?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the SA Mastery the best of the ones I've tried. I don't over line myself. It really depends on the rod. Not all makers rate their rods right. There is a system called the common cents system to tell how your rod should be rated. Many many rods have been checked and yours may be listed. Tell me the exact rod you have and I'll look it up. My own preferance though, if I was going to do something other than what the rod was rated for would be underline it one. Generally I just use what it's rated for. If you are just doing to feel it load, big flies for pike (like bunny strip flies) usually do that for you regardless of the line.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 PM

cidme is on a distinguished road

Its a Bass Pro CV2 8wt, I got a real good deal on the rod, reel and spare spool.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 AM

Gar will become famous soon enough

I use a Temple Forks tcrxi 8 weight. I use a 9 weight pike taper. Primarily because the majority of my fishing is from a pontoon and I only need to cast 20 feet. The 9 weight means more weight with less line to help the rod load better.
I use this set up all the time though. Whether wading or fishing from a boat. I can cast a full line with no fly on it and about 70 with a big pike fly. Big being about ten inches and a mass of fluff.