The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   pike and bass fly line question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/11603-pike-bass-fly-line-question.html)

cidme 10-30-2009 09:25 PM

pike and bass fly line question
 
I am looking for a new floating line geared more towards pike an bass. I see SA makes a line for each, but I was wondering whats the biggest difference between their Bass bug taper line and their Pike/Muskie line? My thought is that if the Pike line can toss those big nasty flies with no problems then it should work just as well for the bigger bass flies. Am I wrong? Or is there more to it?

Cid

MoscaPescador 10-30-2009 11:28 PM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
The main thing is the core. The core of the Muskie Taper is designed to work optimally in cool to warm conditions. The core in the Bass Taper is designed to work in warm to hot conditions.

MP

raindogt 10-31-2009 09:54 AM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 71153)
The main thing is the core. The core of the Muskie Taper is designed to work optimally in cool to warm conditions. The core in the Bass Taper is designed to work in warm to hot conditions.

MP

Seriously??? Can you qualify 'work' in the given conditions?

How does the core differ with regard to temps?

Not doubting you-- I just don't know enough about fly lines-- Is it suppleness and memory, perhaps?

MoscaPescador 10-31-2009 03:10 PM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by raindogt (Post 71168)
Seriously??? Can you qualify 'work' in the given conditions?

How does the core differ with regard to temps?

Not doubting you-- I just don't know enough about fly lines-- Is it suppleness and memory, perhaps?

The core in the bass line is stiffer. When exposed to warmer temperatures it will not go limp.

MP

raindogt 11-01-2009 10:59 AM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
That makes sense. It amazes me how much there is to learn with regards to this crazy addiction.

To the OP-- sorry to derail your thread. ;)

cidme 11-02-2009 01:00 PM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 71153)
The main thing is the core. The core of the Muskie Taper is designed to work optimally in cool to warm conditions. The core in the Bass Taper is designed to work in warm to hot conditions.

MP

I should have added that I live in upstate NY and in the peak of summer it only gets high eighties, water in the 70's. Will that really affect the way a pike line would work?

MoscaPescador 11-03-2009 01:55 AM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
I would err towards using a bass taper line. It should work for those temperatures. A person who could probably comment on this better than I is Diver Dan. He's a big fan of the SA Mastery Muskie/Pike Line.

MP

Guest1 11-04-2009 01:10 PM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
I have used both lines and like them. MoscaPescador brings up a good point about temperature. The Pike/Musky taper is designed for cooler water. You could use the Pike/Musky line in warmer water and it would still work for you, but you probably wouldn't like the Bass taper as much in cold water. The thing I like about the pike line is that it will turn over a really serious fly, and has a really thin running line. I can put a heavy, soggy fly like the Reynold's Pike fly really far out there. If you don't plan to fish cold water or gigantic flies, either line will be fine. I hope this helps.

cidme 11-05-2009 03:38 PM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 71562)
I have used both lines and like them. MoscaPescador brings up a good point about temperature. The Pike/Musky taper is designed for cooler water. You could use the Pike/Musky line in warmer water and it would still work for you, but you probably wouldn't like the Bass taper as much in cold water. The thing I like about the pike line is that it will turn over a really serious fly, and has a really thin running line. I can put a heavy, soggy fly like the Reynold's Pike fly really far out there. If you don't plan to fish cold water or gigantic flies, either line will be fine. I hope this helps.

I will be fishing gen-x bunnys and some decent size divers. What do you consider cold water? So you think the pike is the better all around choice?

thanks

TB3 11-08-2009 11:10 PM

Re: pike and bass fly line question
 
I'd probably go with the pike/musky line then, wet bunny strips are awfully heavy and wind resistant, like casting a wet mop.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.