The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:25 PM

cidme is on a distinguished road
Default pike and bass fly line question

I am looking for a new floating line geared more towards pike an bass. I see SA makes a line for each, but I was wondering whats the biggest difference between their Bass bug taper line and their Pike/Muskie line? My thought is that if the Pike line can toss those big nasty flies with no problems then it should work just as well for the bigger bass flies. Am I wrong? Or is there more to it?

Cid
Old 10-30-2009, 10:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pike and bass fly line question

The main thing is the core. The core of the Muskie Taper is designed to work optimally in cool to warm conditions. The core in the Bass Taper is designed to work in warm to hot conditions.

MP
Old 10-31-2009, 08:54 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The main thing is the core. The core of the Muskie Taper is designed to work optimally in cool to warm conditions. The core in the Bass Taper is designed to work in warm to hot conditions.

MP
Seriously??? Can you qualify 'work' in the given conditions?

How does the core differ with regard to temps?

Not doubting you-- I just don't know enough about fly lines-- Is it suppleness and memory, perhaps?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Seriously??? Can you qualify 'work' in the given conditions?

How does the core differ with regard to temps?

Not doubting you-- I just don't know enough about fly lines-- Is it suppleness and memory, perhaps?
The core in the bass line is stiffer. When exposed to warmer temperatures it will not go limp.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-31-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

That makes sense. It amazes me how much there is to learn with regards to this crazy addiction.

To the OP-- sorry to derail your thread.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

MP
I should have added that I live in upstate NY and in the peak of summer it only gets high eighties, water in the 70's. Will that really affect the way a pike line would work?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 AM

I would err towards using a bass taper line. It should work for those temperatures. A person who could probably comment on this better than I is Diver Dan. He's a big fan of the SA Mastery Muskie/Pike Line.

MP
Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have used both lines and like them. MoscaPescador brings up a good point about temperature. The Pike/Musky taper is designed for cooler water. You could use the Pike/Musky line in warmer water and it would still work for you, but you probably wouldn't like the Bass taper as much in cold water. The thing I like about the pike line is that it will turn over a really serious fly, and has a really thin running line. I can put a heavy, soggy fly like the Reynold's Pike fly really far out there. If you don't plan to fish cold water or gigantic flies, either line will be fine. I hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have used both lines and like them. MoscaPescador brings up a good point about temperature. The Pike/Musky taper is designed for cooler water. You could use the Pike/Musky line in warmer water and it would still work for you, but you probably wouldn't like the Bass taper as much in cold water. The thing I like about the pike line is that it will turn over a really serious fly, and has a really thin running line. I can put a heavy, soggy fly like the Reynold's Pike fly really far out there. If you don't plan to fish cold water or gigantic flies, either line will be fine. I hope this helps.
I will be fishing gen-x bunnys and some decent size divers. What do you consider cold water? So you think the pike is the better all around choice?

thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road

I'd probably go with the pike/musky line then, wet bunny strips are awfully heavy and wind resistant, like casting a wet mop.