The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Bluegill on a Fly Rod ??

I know I placed a forum question sometime back about
your favorite bluegill fly & I wanted to extend the discussion
to see how many of you out there enjoy catching these little
fighters on a fly rod ? If you have not tried it yet, please do !!

What weight rod do you use ?
Do you keep (eat ) what you catch ?
What limit do you have for your area of the country ?
Do you wade for them in a river ?
Or fish from a boat ?

Enjoy this great sport, it's a simple gift from Him.
Always in the Water,

Tie One On
Old 05-30-2006, 07:00 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bluegill on a Fly Rod ??

I love to use my 4 wt with as light a tippet as possible when fishing for panfish. Beaded nymphs work great as well as various drys when they are hitting the surface. I have also caught them on semi-seals and smaller wooly buggers. I am mostly C & R so I have never kept one. There is a limit in AZ but I am not sure what it is.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

i use a 5wt. and do mostly c&r. however if i catch enough that are a good size then i'll keep them. as of right now there is no limit on size or quanity here in Indiana.(boy i wish they would make one)
Old 05-31-2006, 05:10 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

I use a 5wt rod (the only rod I have) I wouldn't say I ever go fishing for bluegill, but I fish where they're all over the place. There's no size or creel limit on them in tn, but I rarely keep them. I catch them with everthing from beadhead nymphs to wolley buggers to popper bugs. I actually had a very large bluegill on my popper bug this year. The fish was probably 7" tall and 8" long, but i must not have set my hook well because he got off. I was fishing in a small lake from the shore. Bluegill are pretty fun to catch, but i'm usually trout fishing so they kinda frustrate me. They are fun to bring in though.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:29 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough

I have a 3wt and a 5wt that I use. I will rig one with some type of popper and another with a beaded nymph usually in olive or grey. Switch between the two to find which they like best. Sometimes I rig a popper with a nymph or bream killer of some sort about 12" below the popper. They will also hit smaller woolybuggers.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 AM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

I tend to use traditional dry flies, on my 5wt (might hook into a bass!) with a light leader/tippet. My grandad once told me that anyone who can catch 50% of the bluegills that bite the fly will never miss a trout.

lf
Old 06-01-2006, 08:21 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

bluegill,pumpkin seed,crappie,all great flyrod fish!!I fish them all the time in mid summer when the trout slow down,and yes I will keep my limit of 5, 2 or 3 times a year,they are the only fish I keep and their #'s around here are great so I don't feel guilty!beadheads,streamers and poppers all work great for me,I use my 3wt on streams and 5 if in a boat(wind),last year I had a bet going with my brother that I could catch them with a bare hook just as well as a bead head,when they are stageing to spawn they are super aggresive and hit anything that moves,I won 5 bucks but more importantly i impressed my brother (lol)
tight lines
Aaron
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

Me, David Crockett State Park Lake, Today, Blue Gill poppers = the suck, Black wolley bugger with a few pearlescent strands in the tail = big blue gill (and a small mouth and a black crappie which was my first crappie ever I didn't even know it was a crappie untill I looked it up)here's a picture of one of my bigger blue gill, not the biggest i've ever caught by far, I've had a 2 1/2 lb blue gill before, but still a nice size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:15 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Nice! I like to throw what my friends call "the tadpole" basically it is some fluffy marabou like fibers for the tail and black dubbing for the body finishing off with small black plastic "eyes". It is deadly.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:46 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Nice gill, Mr. Hicks! I' ve been to Davey Crockett, but haven't fished it.

This year has been consistently the best fly roding for bluegills and Bass I';ve had in 12 years on Old Hickory Lake just north of Nashville. I catch the biggest and best bnumbers with a #12 Olive Bead Head Wooly Bugger. With the hot weather, I have to let the bug drift down to the bottom in 6 ft of water, but they're there!

I've taken home up to 20 very nice gills in as little as an hour of fishing; bluegills reproduce so fast that taking a couple dozen off the lake every week isn't bad (especially since Old Hickory has 440 miles of shoreline, and not that many people bluegill fishing.)

Oh, I use a 5/6 weight if I'm also hoping for bass, and use a 7.5 Ft 3-4 weight when strictly after bluegills.

Here's a sample from early May:

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system