The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM

dennis is on a distinguished road
Default clouser minnow

I'm going to make some clouser minnows for our spring trip to KY Lake. From what I've read, you put white on the bottom. Is that really important or can I use chart since most every thing I use for the Crappie has some chart in it.

Dennis
Old 11-01-2009, 08:40 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: clouser minnow

Think about from the angle the fish views the bait or fly in this case. I have had good luck with white on the belly with a little flor. red near the head on the bottom side.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

About half the Clousers I tie have white on the bottom, but I've used lots of other colors, chartreuse included. I just try to stick with having the lighter color on bottom. That being said, chartreuse and White is my go to saltwater favorite, Light blue and white is my standby for my local rivers.

White-less combos that work well for me are olive and chartreuse, brown and yellow, purple and peach, royal blue and light blue, black and grey, and some others I can't recall.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Thanks Big Cliff, How far back do the deer hairs go from the end of the hook? Also is there any material you can use besides deer hair?

Dennis
Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Clouser's actually use bucktail, not deer hair. In fly tying nomenclature, deer hair is the deer's body/belly hair that is much shorter and tends to flare out like a porcupine when tied in tightly.

There's other materials that work well, but bucktail is pretty perfectly suited to clousers and their unique needs. If you use something more limp like craft fur or marabou, you'll frequently have the fibers wrapped around the hook and it wont look or fish right. If you go with something stiff like super hair, you won't have a fly that moves as much as bucktail does. Bucktail's tapered fibers are stiff enough to where they don't foul too badly, but their taper and pliability makes them undulate quite nicely under water.

When tying clousers on a normal hook (something like a Mustad 3407 or 3366) I would say you want the total length of the fly to be about 3 times the distance from the hook eye to the outside of the bend. Some prefer them shorter, some longer, but roughly 3x hook length is a pretty safe formula. They tend to work best if you leave the flash material slightly longer than that.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanks again Big Cliff , I ment Bucktail. Have to run back to cabelas to get some different colors and give it a try by lake near the house befor it gets to cold. Thanks again

Dennis

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

One more question. Does the color of the flash have to match or can you get creative?

Dennis
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
One more question. Does the color of the flash have to match or can you get creative?
Flash is used to match the lateral line of the baitfish. But no one is going to stop one from getting creative. Try experimenting with some different combinations. You will be surprised what works.

MP
Old 11-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Flash is used to match the lateral line of the baitfish. But no one is going to stop one from getting creative. Try experimenting with some different combinations. You will be surprised what works.

MP
I agree. Gray ghost pearl or pearl is most versatile, but chartreuse pearl, rootbeer pearl, and blue pearl are very handy as well. I mostly use krystal flash but other flash materials work well also.

I will sometimes even use two different colors of flash on a clouser.

Two favorites:
CopperTop- white and ginger bucktail, rootbeer pearl kf in the middle and copper kf on top

Baby Striper- White and gray bucktail, gray ghost kf in the middle and black kf on top

Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks again. One more question, I'm using 5/32 eyes & sz. 8 & 10 hooks. What would be the lightest line wt. to use?

Dennis
Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dennis,

The most important aspect of tying a Clouser is the flash down the sides should extend all the way to the end of the fly. With Saltwater Clouser flies it should be a little longer than the body. Here is an Original Clouser to take a look at.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.