The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 06:20 PM

ahi sashimi is on a distinguished road
Default More KC "action"

Warm November day, decent fishing. I've been using the Clouser pattern of various colors getting ready for some saltwater action, using WF 9F SA Mastery Bonefish flyline. Turns out although the line is designed for warm water/conditions, it works fine in "cold" water (55-58F).

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

It seems the "pumpkin" color Clouser works pretty good in water with 2-3 foot clarity. Slow 1' stipping was the ticket, keeping the fly near the bottom.

So, in summary charteous/white, "pumpkin" (for lack of a better name...), and blue/white worked well. I caught a bigger largemouth on blue/white, but had left the phone in the truck so no pics.

Total for the day was 11 largemouth, 2 "big" bluegill.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: More KC "action"

Nice, Steve---

There are LM (or any fish, for that matter) in that hold under the dam? (That is where the one picture was shot, correct?)

I've been over there-- just not with any gear--- I was exploring the dam area and wondered about that.

Anyhow-- nice fish-- I have noticed a slow retrieve is most productive this time of year. How deep do you estimate them to be?

Tony

//EDIT// When he says 'big' bluegill-- he means big bluegill-- this water holds some of the biggest I've ever seen -- 8 or 9 inches tall and fight like a small Boston Whaler with about 150 horses of Evinrude.... Many good times to be had with them.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 PM

ahi sashimi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
There are LM (or any fish, for that matter) in that hold under the dam? (That is where the one picture was shot, correct?)
That's the first time I bothered to work the spillway pond.. It seems the spillway pond does indeed have fish. Incidentally, some people threw some bread from above which came down into the pond (which I found irritating...) and low and behold the bluegill gathered around and started chewing on it...

There are numerous small bluegill in there and as it turns out some bass. A 3/4wt with some small "trout" flies would probably catch one nearly every cast...

Next to the cement walkway it's 7 feet deep (used my rod to figure it out). No bass there. The bass are (rightfully) at the shallow back end of the pond near where all the weeds usually are. We're talking < 2 ft. of water.

Average depth I was working was 2-3 feet, near the shore in most cases.

Oh and I've found you don't get a lot of Bluegill on a #4 Clouser, but when you do it's a big dawg...

Any luck with those stocker rainbows?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi sashimi View Post
Any luck with those stocker rainbows?
Spent a majority of the weekend doing various chores around my mother in law's house. Didn't do any fishing. ---Any way you could find room for her when you move to FL.?

(I sure hope my wife doesn't read these forums.....)